Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 9 guests, and 44 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
 Trending Topics(Posts)
1.The Next Stage - Plan B, Protection Phase6
2.The Joke Thread2
3.Woman urges NC lawmakers to end child marriage: For her it was a ‘life sentence’1
4.Updates Divorce Stats1
5.The Demand Man1
6.What's Wrong With "I Messages"1
7.I had a black dog. His name was depression1
8.Changes to MA's Main Menu Bar0
9.Disappearing Posts and Threads0
10.New process for display name change requests0
*By replies in last 2 weeks.
In The Media(Posts)
Woman urges NC lawmakers to end child marriage: For her it was a ‘life sentence’1
COVID-19 and the Increased Likelihood of Affairs3
Does anyone remember this story?3
Validation to find-win-win slutions2
Things men want3
These Are The Signs You're Dating A Narcissist3
Girlfriend's 'controlling' list of 22 rules for boyfriend goes viral: 'She sounds crazy'9
What Divorced Men Wish They Had Done Differently In Their Marriages7
Alienation of Affection / Criminal Conversation9
Would you pay your ex a 'break-up fee'? - BBC3
more >>
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
***SCREEN NAMES...WHY did you choose YOURS?*** #12216
10/20/10 12:44 PM
10/20/10 12:44 PM
Ace Offline OP
Advocate
Ace  Offline OP
Advocate
When I was flailing around during multiple D-Days, our first MC said that we should NOT expose...just let God take care of it.

I told then-WH that exposure would be my "ace-in-a-bucket" and he laughed, saying "ya mean 'ace-in-a-hole'?" (I discovered later that Weaver had actually said that 'exposure was the BS's ace-in-a-hole' on a post from many years before but, of course, I had been confused.)

I said, "I feel like I have a hole in my bucket"..... and when I discovered the MB discussion forums and it came to picking a screen name, that's what came to mind first.

When a newbie kept writing out the entire "Ac*_*n_B*ck*t" or some shortened it to AIB, I dropped it to just "Ace" but don't mind when it strays to Acie or Acey.

That's my story....

Why did YOU choose your screen name(s)?

We're overcoming decades of marital dysfunction including abuse, passive aggression, gas-lighting & infidelity (both of us).

Our Weird and Ongoing Story
Re: ***WHY did you choose YOUR screen NAME?*** [Re: Ace] #12219
10/20/10 12:51 PM
10/20/10 12:51 PM
NewEveryDay Offline
Advocate
NewEveryDay  Offline
Advocate
Ace, I love these kinds of threads, where you get to learn a little more about the folks you share so much laughter and tears with.

I had picked ears_open because dag-nabbit, I knew there was a solution to my problem; I knew folks were recovering marriages every day, so if I just kept my ears open, I would learn what to do, too.

I picked NewEveryDay because I had so much problems with resentment and living in the past I want to celebrate that I can be new every day, whenever I choose. I heard folks talking about starting their day over, and I liked that, too.

"I have everything I need." and "I am exactly where I am supposed to be." ~Louise Hays
Re: ***SCREEN NAMES...WHY did you choose YOURS?*** [Re: Ace] #12220
10/20/10 01:02 PM
10/20/10 01:02 PM
L
Lifechoice Offline
Lifechoice  Offline
L

Do you want the long story or the short one? LOL

One of my justifications for having an A was that my DH forced me to move out of state away from our families. I never felt like I had a choice. A group of wonderful woman on a woman's discussion forum drilled it into my head why the A was a choice and not my DH's fault.

What I learned over time is just about everything we do IS a choice. I didn't show up on MB until we were well into recovery and decided to go with Lifeschoice. It stood for my name, but I couldn't use an apostrophe (or my REAL name shocked ). IOW with spaces it would have looked like this Life's Choice. As time went on many people called me Lifechoice so when I registered here I took out the "s".

LC

Last edited by Lifechoice; 10/20/10 01:07 PM. Reason: add a thought
Re: ***SCREEN NAMES...WHY did you choose YOURS?*** [Re: Lifechoice] #12230
10/20/10 01:55 PM
10/20/10 01:55 PM
Texas
Larry Offline
Larry  Offline
Texas

When I first got on, I had a problem coming up with a name that wasn't already taken. I think I tried like half a dozen or more without success. I thought about it a bit, then decided that my feelings at the time - expressed in my moniker - might change and I didn't want to get stuck with a name that might not be me in the weeks and months ahead.

Finally, I said to heck with it and went with just plain 'Larry,' which was taken, so I went with adding three numbers at the end so it would pass. Later on, I changed that to _Larry_. And now, on a new board, I own just Larry. That works for me.

It's often the truth we hide from ourselves that causes the most damage in life.

My old email address no longer works.
Re: ***SCREEN NAMES...WHY did you choose YOURS?*** [Re: Larry] #12233
10/20/10 02:04 PM
10/20/10 02:04 PM
SW Chicago 'burbs
Mark1952 Offline
Board of Directors
Mark1952  Offline
Board of Directors
SW Chicago 'burbs
Uh...[Linked Image]

mark1952.ma@gmail.com

I Was Thinking...

The secret to having a good marriage is to understand that marriage must be total, it must be permanent, and it must be equal.-- Frank Pittman
Re: ***SCREEN NAMES...WHY did you choose YOURS?*** [Re: Mark1952] #12241
10/20/10 02:13 PM
10/20/10 02:13 PM
Florida
Gladstone Offline
Board of Directors
Secretary
Gladstone  Offline
Board of Directors
Secretary
Florida
When I started posting at Marriage Builders, I chose the name Cuthbert Calculus Cuthbert Calculus. He was a character in the Tintin series of comic strips. Cuthbert Calculus was a stereotypical absent-minded professor who was also partly deaf, so that he never quite understood what any of the other characters were saying. That described me, in our Bad Old Days, sort of deaf to my wife's unhappiness and never quite understanding what she was saying.

However, in a series of two Tintin books, Calculus leads a project to send the first rocket to the moon. For this project, it was essential that he be able to understand everything, so he consented to wear a hearing aid. For these two books, he went from being an amusing comic-relief character to being one who was very serious, very competent, and capable of great things!

After leaving MB, I thought I'd retire that name and use a new one. I chose the name Gladstone after Gladstone Gander, Donald Duck's cousin. Gladstone Gander is the luckiest duck in the world... and that is how I feel with the relationship my wife and I share!

Last edited by Gladstone; 10/20/10 02:14 PM. Reason: adding another link

**Formerly known as Cuthbert Calculus**

"There is enough sadness in life without having fellows like Gussie Fink-Nottle going about in sea boots."

Glad Tidings

Gladstone's Sucess Story
Re: ***SCREEN NAMES...WHY did you choose YOURS?*** [Re: Gladstone] #12244
10/20/10 02:17 PM
10/20/10 02:17 PM
The Castle Aaaggghh...
herfuturesbright Offline
herfuturesbright  Offline
The Castle Aaaggghh...
heremainsfaithful is one long word for He Remains Faithful. It has two meanings. One is one of my favorite verses:

"Even if we are faithless, He remains faithful, for He cannot disown Himself." II Tim. 2:13

When I decided to write a novel based on what we had been through, it only seemed fitting to call it He Remains Faithful, not only because God was faithful to me even when I failed....but so was DH.

Re: ***SCREEN NAMES...WHY did you choose YOURS?*** [Re: Gladstone] #12258
10/20/10 02:51 PM
10/20/10 02:51 PM
Almost in The People's Republi...
chrisner Offline
chrisner  Offline
Almost in The People's Republi...
I chose the name Gladstone after Gladstone Gander, Donald Duck's cousin.

I wondered if that was the connection. I have a pile of Carl Barks Donald Duck and Uncle Scrooge comic books out in the garage. Barks is one of my all time favorite illustrators. (Gil Elvgren too but that's a different story)

[Linked Image]

Re: ***SCREEN NAMES...WHY did you choose YOURS?*** [Re: chrisner] #12268
10/20/10 03:29 PM
10/20/10 03:29 PM
Florida
Gladstone Offline
Board of Directors
Secretary
Gladstone  Offline
Board of Directors
Secretary
Florida
Another MA member thought I'd chosen the name Gladstone after William Gladstone. Of course if that were the case, I'd have more likely chosen the name Disraeli! smile

I lived in Denmark for a few years growing up, and I have a few Danish language Donald Duck comic books (same artwork, just translated) - he is called Anders And over there ("and" means duck), and Gladstone is called Gladstone Glad. When I first picked that name, I couldn't find any reference to him online at all, because I was using the Danish last name.

Last edited by Gladstone; 10/20/10 03:30 PM.

**Formerly known as Cuthbert Calculus**

"There is enough sadness in life without having fellows like Gussie Fink-Nottle going about in sea boots."

Glad Tidings

Gladstone's Sucess Story
Re: ***SCREEN NAMES...WHY did you choose YOURS?*** [Re: Ace] #12278
10/20/10 03:58 PM
10/20/10 03:58 PM
SoCal
Chrysalis Offline
Global Moderator
Chrysalis  Offline
Global Moderator
SoCal
Originally Posted by Ace

Um, Because you made me?

Over at another forum I started out as In_Limbo_Land, which is where I lived in my head for far too long.
Acey, It was you who challenged me to change my name to something more positive.

I chose Chrysalis to reflect beauty emerging from a time of near, or seeming, death. Which is something I still aspire to.

Chrysalis
Re: ***SCREEN NAMES...WHY did you choose YOURS?*** [Re: Ace] #12282
10/20/10 04:13 PM
10/20/10 04:13 PM
ToBeContinued Offline
ToBeContinued  Offline
Originally Posted by Ace

I went with a fairly drab, non-creative screen name in "that other place" until many facets of my personal life were deciphered by a stranger who clearly had too much time on his hands, too much interest in my story, or both......

I came up with my current name because I developed I habit of painting a pretty vivid illustration of the news of the day, and then announcing that I'd come back to communicate its conclusion. Some referred to them as 'cliffhangers'.....

Think of the old Batman shows -- the ones with Adam West. You'd have to wait to find out how he and Robin would escape their almost certain demise. Back when I was a kid, shows did that from time to time, and I remember seeing those three words. Hence, 'To Be Continued' was borne......

I enjoy writing, live in 'Show Biz Central', and well, it just seemed to fit.....

TBC

Last edited by ToBeContinued; 10/20/10 04:14 PM. Reason: Added a pesky little 'as'....
Re: ***SCREEN NAMES...WHY did you choose YOURS?*** [Re: ToBeContinued] #12284
10/20/10 04:18 PM
10/20/10 04:18 PM
The Castle Aaaggghh...
herfuturesbright Offline
herfuturesbright  Offline
The Castle Aaaggghh...
TBC, you should have broken up your story into two or three different posts so you could write "to be continued" at the bottom of each one. smile

Re: ***SCREEN NAMES...WHY did you choose YOURS?*** [Re: herfuturesbright] #12294
10/20/10 04:45 PM
10/20/10 04:45 PM
Looking4 Offline
Looking4  Offline
I knew I needed help, but I didn't know what kind, in what form, or what my goal even was when I joined another forum. I was looking for help. I was looking for answers. I was looking for understanding, for explanation, direction... I was lost and didn't know exactly what I was seeking but I knew I was looking and I knew once I found whatever I was searching for, there'd be something else that needed discovery -- because life is an ever-evolving journey.

So I left it open-ended... Looking For. I don't care for underscores in names (hard to reach my pinky up there on the keyboard) so I went with Looking4 which I can type more easily.

I kept the name when I joined this forum because I'm not creative and didn't have the energy to come up with another one.

Married 19 years
Two children - DS12 & DD10
Re: ***SCREEN NAMES...WHY did you choose YOURS?*** [Re: herfuturesbright] #12299
10/20/10 04:52 PM
10/20/10 04:52 PM
ToBeContinued Offline
ToBeContinued  Offline
Originally Posted by heremainsfaithful
TBC, you should have broken up your story into two or three different posts so you could write "to be continued" at the bottom of each one. smile

An EXCELLENT idea to add to the viewerships' collective chorus of "You gotta be kiddin' me, making me wait to find out what the heck happens!!!!"

I'm thinking 'collective chorus' is redundant....

I guess we all have a 'To Be Continued' quality about us -- always another chapter in the works, another obstacle to overcome, another success story just around the corner....

TBC

Re: ***SCREEN NAMES...WHY did you choose YOURS?*** [Re: ToBeContinued] #12313
10/20/10 05:28 PM
10/20/10 05:28 PM
N
NYGfan Offline
NYGfan  Offline
N
My Dad was an A6 Intruder pilot in the Marines, I use this handle on all messageboards since he passed as a way to take a piece of him with me. Everytime I sign in somewhere, I think of my Dad.

Re: ***SCREEN NAMES...WHY did you choose YOURS?*** [Re: Chrysalis] #12324
10/20/10 05:51 PM
10/20/10 05:51 PM
L
Lifechoice Offline
Lifechoice  Offline
L
Originally Posted by Chrysalis
Originally Posted by Ace

Um, Because you made me?

Over at another forum I started out as In_Limbo_Land, which is where I lived in my head for far too long.
Acey, It was you who challenged me to change my name to something more positive.

I chose Chrysalis to reflect beauty emerging from a time of near, or seeming, death. Which is something I still aspire to.

LOL, I almost spit my yogurt all over my laptop. I remember when she made you change your name.

Re: ***SCREEN NAMES...WHY did you choose YOURS?*** [Re: Lifechoice] #12330
10/20/10 06:02 PM
10/20/10 06:02 PM
DFW, TX
TACticGAL Offline
TACticGAL  Offline
DFW, TX
I have always been a non-"girly" type. Jeans, t-shirts, and hi-tops in high school. I almost always get along better as friends with men than women. I take care of my own general maintenance stuff around the house as well as the car. I tend to interact in the stereotypically "male" fashion - focusing on solving the issue instead of just listening, and am more logically minded than the stereotypical female.

So I decided a while ago to start using the moniker The AntiChick online. smile

Let me not be so vain to think I'm the sole author of my victories and and a victim of my defeats. -- ze frank
Re: ***SCREEN NAMES...WHY did you choose YOURS?*** [Re: TACticGAL] #12342
10/20/10 06:43 PM
10/20/10 06:43 PM
midwest
D
diamondsj Offline
diamondsj  Offline
D
midwest
My screen name....hmmmm...chose it because every piece of it has to do with a piece of our life in very important ways...diamond is a piece of our life together that reminds us of why we are together and why we fit so well together (and it doesn't have to do with the diamonds in our rings)... s makes it plural and also has significance to us ... j is -- well -- a *j* -- and it has meaning to both of us. To say any more would give too much personal info....

Suffice it to say that the screen name isn't to represent why we are here -- but rather to remind me when I log in of what we have together...make sense? Probably only to me right? lol....

diamondsj
Re: ***SCREEN NAMES...WHY did you choose YOURS?*** [Re: diamondsj] #12354
10/20/10 07:35 PM
10/20/10 07:35 PM
Colorado
LovingAnyway Offline
LovingAnyway  Offline
Colorado
Hey, diamondsj, I didn't know that. Very cool.

LovingAnyway--chosen after reading The Paradoxical Commandments...by Keith Kurt.

or Kurt Keith.

smile

LA

The Paradoxical Commandments

Married 28 years/Together 30
Recovered 10 years
MALovingAnyway@gmail.com
Re: ***SCREEN NAMES...WHY did you choose YOURS?*** [Re: LovingAnyway] #12383
10/20/10 08:57 PM
10/20/10 08:57 PM
Gateway to the West
N
Not2fun Offline
Not2fun  Offline
N
Gateway to the West
Not2fun

After "lurking" at MB for a couple of weeks (I found MB 3 weeks after DDay.... grin....) and knew I wanted a good, memorable name. This one was not taken. And since anyone who has ever dealt with an affair knows...Its NOT 2 FUN....

The name grew on me....I had to "hide" under alias' when wayward Mr. Not found me on MB. I missed my old name during those times. I had suggestions for changing it when I had A++ Plan A moments...like "LotsAfun", ect., but this name was/is comfortable....so I've kept it.

Besides, who else gets to have more fun with their name than I do????...

Not grin

Last edited by Not2fun; 10/20/10 08:58 PM.

" If you couldn't change your partner when you were together, you sure aren't going to now that you aren't together..." Words of the teacher of the court mandated parenting class...and the ONE thing that stuck out to me!!!
Re: ***SCREEN NAMES...WHY did you choose YOURS?*** [Re: Not2fun] #12404
10/20/10 09:41 PM
10/20/10 09:41 PM
K
kilted_thrower Offline
kilted_thrower  Offline
K
I throw stuff while wearing a kilt.

More specifically since I've actually been asked before what a kilted thrower is...

I compete in the Scottish Highland Games (some call it Heavy Athletics). When competing, you are required to wear a kilt. It's pretty much never failed me in using it as a screen name on a forum.

Some people are just wired for success. I had no choice when it came to being great. I just am great. --K. Powers

Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it. --Prefontaine

Re: ***SCREEN NAMES...WHY did you choose YOURS?*** [Re: kilted_thrower] #12412
10/20/10 10:41 PM
10/20/10 10:41 PM
SW Chicago 'burbs
Mark1952 Offline
Board of Directors
Mark1952  Offline
Board of Directors
SW Chicago 'burbs
Not,

I've always liked your name, Not!

KT,

So you're one of those guys who throws tree trunks for distance?

Mark (Because that IS my name)

mark1952.ma@gmail.com

I Was Thinking...

The secret to having a good marriage is to understand that marriage must be total, it must be permanent, and it must be equal.-- Frank Pittman
Re: ***SCREEN NAMES...WHY did you choose YOURS?*** [Re: Mark1952] #12425
10/20/10 11:35 PM
10/20/10 11:35 PM
wiser_now Offline
wiser_now  Offline
I began as new_beginning at MB in 1999. I wanted a new beginning since my life was at an all-time low. While mine is almost as obvious as Mark's, I didn't want to be left out so I wrote this response anyway.

[Linked Image]

A happy marriage is a long conversation which always seems too short. --Andre Maurois

Re: ***SCREEN NAMES...WHY did you choose YOURS?*** [Re: wiser_now] #12428
10/20/10 11:53 PM
10/20/10 11:53 PM
SFB Offline
SFB  Offline
SFB:

Sh1* for Brains.

Works for me.

SFB

Finding an ethical way to deal with pain, fear, disappointment etc..is part of the experience of becoming a stronger person...one who is driven by compassion instead of compulsion...ie I have a legitimate reason to be stressed out right now...however, my response to it will determine how others percieve me, and myself. (quoting Star*Fish)
Re: ***SCREEN NAMES...WHY did you choose YOURS?*** [Re: SFB] #12431
10/20/10 11:58 PM
10/20/10 11:58 PM
O
OurHouse Offline
OurHouse  Offline
O
Originally Posted by SFB
SFB:

Sh1* for Brains.

Works for me.

SFB

grin grin grin

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Fiddler 

Newest Members
Love_Smacked, starfire, JoyfulMimi, bruers, shattered72
2048 Registered Users
Latest Topics(Posts)
Woman urges NC lawmakers to end child marriage: For her it was a ‘life sentence’1
63 Marriage Facts1
COVID-19 and the Increased Likelihood of Affairs3
Updates Divorce Stats4
no more rainbow members?9
BR - The Art of War - Sun Tzu5
Questions & Answers About Marriage---responses from 7-10 year old kids4
seeing new members on mobile version5
Return of the Goddess31
Chrisner - the war of the waywards3
Community Information
2048Members
1Penalty Box