Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 2 guests, and 32 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
 Trending Topics(Posts)
1.How to deconstruct a marriage.0
2.I am Sick, I am Sad, and I am needing some support.0
3.SIHW is back and Dealing with issues....0
4.looking for some support0
5.Social Networking Sites and Infidelity0
6.Signs of Infidelity0
7.The Difference Between Cheating and Infidelity?0
8.Not really sure how to survive0
9.The Five Big Lies That Keep You From Changing0
10.Pregnant and getting put out of the house by my husband0
*By replies in last 2 weeks.
In The Media(Posts)
Woman urges NC lawmakers to end child marriage: For her it was a ‘life sentence’3
COVID-19 and the Increased Likelihood of Affairs3
Does anyone remember this story?3
Validation to find-win-win slutions2
Things men want3
These Are The Signs You're Dating A Narcissist3
Girlfriend's 'controlling' list of 22 rules for boyfriend goes viral: 'She sounds crazy'9
What Divorced Men Wish They Had Done Differently In Their Marriages7
Alienation of Affection / Criminal Conversation9
Would you pay your ex a 'break-up fee'? - BBC3
more >>
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
The blooming of a rose: a personal success story #192862
01/03/12 07:37 PM
01/03/12 07:37 PM
TX
CajunRose Offline OP
CajunRose  Offline OP
TX
When I was a hurting LBS, I did not want to read stories about individual recovery; I wanted the proof that a marriage - my marriage - could survive anything. Without my H, without my family, what was left? frown

My marriage did not recover. I did. As incredibly painful as divorce was, I now think it was the best decision for my xH, for me, and for our children.

xH and I began dating in college and got married right after graduation. We had a lot of happy years and a few hellacious ones in the middle that I thought we resolved with MC. I was wrong. I believe my xH had an EA with a coworker, which pushed him to leave in October 2010, 6 months after our 10th anniversary. Our daughter was 4 and our son was 15 months old.

I was so debilitated by the pain and fear that my mother moved in for a week to take care of me and the kids. Before she left, I told her that I was going to have a great life, but the journey to get there would be awful. Parts of it were, but I cannot believe how much I've learned. So much that my mom and I recently had an in-depth discussion on codependency, boundaries, and enabling, and at the end she told me that she really respected my views on relationships and that she had a lot to learn. That was mind-blowing for me (parents are supposed to know everything, right?).

I read everything I could get my hands on about relationships, and I recognized a lot of areas where I had messed up. I analyzed my marriage and made a list of my shortcomings as a partner, with a plan for how to fix the parts of me I wanted to improve. I sought counseling for myself and my daughter. I found examples to follow - my mother, a coworker, the people of MA - and I watched to see how they handled similar situations. I strove to put my children first in every single decision I made.

I was initially terrified to be a single parent of two small children; now I'm a pro. I had no close friends of my own; now I have half a dozen women in the area who I can call on for help. I had almost no life outside of work and home; now I have a wide variety of activities planned. I also learned to like being alone, and I take pride in my independence.

I'm no longer "just" a mother or "just" a wife. I've found me again, and I like me. I've worked hard to ensure that the decisions I make come from a place of love and respect for myself and those around me.

If you put in the hard work to fix yourself - not your spouse, not anyone else but you - you will eventually reap the rewards. I realized that I was not in a healthy place for a relationship. I could not have successfully reconciled if I had not done the work on myself...and once I finished working on me I could see that my xH and I were in such fundamentally different places that we had to set each other free.

It's been 15 months since my world fell apart. My xH is now engaged to be married. I am truly happy that he seems to have found what he was looking for. My children are thrilled with their new stepmother and stepsiblings.

I've found a man who shares my outlook on life. I am happier and more content than I have ever been, and for the first time ever I feel accepted for exactly who I am. :9: Our relationship is still young, but I see a very bright future for us. Without all the pain we both experienced, all the growth we forced ourselves to do, he and I would not be in a position to experience this. We needed to learn those lessons to be able to build a healthy relationship.

I am a success story. Not because I'm in a new relationship, but because I came out of my trial by fire as a better person. I can be (and have been) happy alone but I'm still able to trust another man with my heart.

For those still in the beginning or middle of the awfulness, it DOES get better. The life you'll build on your own is different, but it can be awesome. Just grit your teeth and work through the crazy and the pain and have faith that what comes later will make it all worthwhile. hug

Current spouse: Night. D10, D9, S7

About me

You can't direct the wind, but you can adjust your sails.

http://www.divorcedmomfinances.com
Re: The blooming of a rose: a personal success story [Re: CajunRose] #192864
01/03/12 07:39 PM
01/03/12 07:39 PM
TX
CajunRose Offline OP
CajunRose  Offline OP
TX
To reiterate that it isn't the relationship that makes the success, I wrote much of this post on my thread in October - several weeks before I began seeing the man I now love.

Linky

Current spouse: Night. D10, D9, S7

About me

You can't direct the wind, but you can adjust your sails.

http://www.divorcedmomfinances.com
Re: The blooming of a rose: a personal success story [Re: CajunRose] #192897
01/03/12 08:42 PM
01/03/12 08:42 PM
rockedworld Offline
rockedworld  Offline
You are an inspiration, and when I am struggling I often think of you, knowing it is possible to get to where you are. Thank you for sharing your success story!

"In every space opened when what we want gets away, a deeper place is cleared in which the mysteries can sing." Mark Nepo
Re: The blooming of a rose: a personal success story [Re: CajunRose] #192951
01/03/12 10:57 PM
01/03/12 10:57 PM
D
D4MIL Offline
D4MIL  Offline
D
just goes to show that success does not necessarily mean that a marriage was salvaged.

you went through the fire with dignity and grace. it makes me proud to call you a friend.

Re: The blooming of a rose: a personal success story [Re: CajunRose] #193359
01/04/12 10:05 PM
01/04/12 10:05 PM
pookie69 Offline
pookie69  Offline
Originally Posted By: CajunRose
I am a success story. Not because I'm in a new relationship, but because I came out of my trial by fire as a better person. I can be (and have been) happy alone but I'm still able to trust another man with my heart.

claps claps claps

"A desire presupposes the possibility of action to achieve it; action presupposes a goal which is worth achieving." - Ayn Rand
Re: The blooming of a rose: a personal success story [Re: pookie69] #195605
01/10/12 12:14 PM
01/10/12 12:14 PM
NewEveryDay Offline
Advocate
NewEveryDay  Offline
Advocate
CR, thanks for sharing this! The grace and care you bring here every day is a beautiful light.

"I have everything I need." and "I am exactly where I am supposed to be." ~Louise Hays

Moderated by  Miranda 

Newest Members
Love_Smacked, starfire, JoyfulMimi, bruers, shattered72
2048 Registered Users
Latest Topics(Posts)
Hearts Blessing4
Woman urges NC lawmakers to end child marriage: For her it was a ‘life sentence’3
63 Marriage Facts1
COVID-19 and the Increased Likelihood of Affairs3
Updates Divorce Stats4
no more rainbow members?9
BR - The Art of War - Sun Tzu5
Questions & Answers About Marriage---responses from 7-10 year old kids4
seeing new members on mobile version5
Return of the Goddess31
Community Information
2048Members
1Penalty Box
6Suspended