Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 5 guests, and 36 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
 Trending Topics(Posts)
1.Ask Amy's very bad advice on affairs1
2.Things men want1
3.The Joke Thread1
4.Hearts Blessing1
5.Financial counselor says communication is key when mixing money and marriage - Grand Forks Herald0
6.Daughter says father made ominous threats if his wife sought a divorce - Portland Press Herald0
7.A Straight Spouse Of A Gay Husband Speaks Out0
8.Rise Above Past Relationship Failures - Psychology Today0
9.Toxic Relationship dynamics0
10.Women Who Don't Orgasm - Psychology Today0
*By replies in last 2 weeks.
In The Media(Posts)
Woman urges NC lawmakers to end child marriage: For her it was a ‘life sentence’3
COVID-19 and the Increased Likelihood of Affairs3
Does anyone remember this story?3
Validation to find-win-win slutions2
Things men want4
These Are The Signs You're Dating A Narcissist3
Girlfriend's 'controlling' list of 22 rules for boyfriend goes viral: 'She sounds crazy'9
What Divorced Men Wish They Had Done Differently In Their Marriages7
Alienation of Affection / Criminal Conversation9
Would you pay your ex a 'break-up fee'? - BBC3
more >>
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Overcoming Infidelity: The affair is not your fault #204324
02/04/12 07:09 AM
02/04/12 07:09 AM
New Zealand
Lil Offline OP

Lil  Offline OP

New Zealand

The chances for infidelity healing and the possibilities for stopping the affair and overcoming infidelity are greatly enhanced once it sinks into your heart and soul that you are not at fault for the affair. You are not defective. You did not cause him/her to jump into the arms of another person. You are not to be blamed for the infidelity.

Overcoming Infidelity means coming to this awareness and strong belief that you are not at fault or to blame for his/her actions. This infidelity healing liberates you from the debilitating feelings and thoughts and sets you on a new course of action and healing. As well, the capacity for you to intervene in the life of the affair in a highly effective manner is magnified.

So, the question becomes, How to you truly reach this point in overcoming an affair? Most, when confronted by the infidelity are grabbed, held and immobilized by this sense of defectiveness and personal responsibility for his/her actions.

Here are 4 ways of shifting your thinking that will acclereate the infidelity healing and bring relief from the sense of blame and fault.

1. O.K. Accept the fact that in your relationships you made mistakes. Yes, you did. Some of them were maybe fairly large. But, who in a relationship of investment doesnt make mistakes; some of them silly, some of them large? Could you have done something differently? Of course! We all could have. Coulda, woulda, shoulda.

Mistakes in a marriage are often fertile grounds for learning and growing. Did s/he use your mistakes as a springboard for learning and change? Did s/he come to you and say, Hey, I dont like this. Things need to change. Lets work it out?

And even if you made NO mistakes, how boring and predictable would that be? Yawn..

2. come to the realization that the decision to enter into an affair is his/her personal decision. A rather poor decision, but his/her decision nonetheless.

You see, affairs have nothing to do with love (although you probably believe or s/he says s/he fell out of love with you and loves someone else) but more with three different factors.

Affairs may arise out of deep unmet personal needs (such as the affair type, I Fell out of Love..and just love being in love.) One become attached to another seeking to fill that emptiness or deep chasm. (Little does s/he realize that another person cannot make me complete sorry Tom Cruise.)

Someone may choose an affair as a result of a character disorder (I Dont Want to Say NO).

Or, s/he chooses an affair as an attempt to deal with a dysfunction life-long coping pattern (I Cant Say No).

Infidelity is a blind attempt to manage ones inner ghosts.

3. In conjunction with the realization of his/her personal ghosts is the relief you experience once you dig into learning about the characteristics of someone who would enter a specific kind of affair.

A person is likely to choose or act out a particular kind of affair depending on his/her personal characteristics. There is a pattern.

4. Another significant shift in the fault game occurs when you discover that the OP (other person) is not better than you.

You may realize someday that you truly or worthy and have value as a person, and you need not compare yourself to the other person. Or as you begin to understand the dynamics of infidelity you discover that health and saneness is on your side.

A theory (hatched in over 25 years of clinical practice, research and conclusions about the nature of humanity) tells me that eventually those who benefit MOST from infidelity are the wounded spouses. Why? They typically become the ones who in their pain, confront themselves, learn, make shifts in their thinking and feelings and redesign themselves in ways that are more harmonious with whom they truly are.

The cheating spouse? Well, s/he misguidedly throws him/herself more and more into his/her personal neediness, character disorder or coping pattern dysfunction. His/her emotions, values and behavior goes down the tubes, although s/he at that moment of infidelity and attachment to the other person may deny so.

Thats why the divorce and unhappiness stats for those who have an affair, divorce and marry another are exceedingly high. No learning, no personal evolution has emerged. At some point s/he may discover that s/he has taken him/her self with him/her and that is the problem.

These shifts in your thinking are indispensable in getting on the path of health, well-being and as that happens welcome your new found personal power to shape your life, perhaps the path of the infidelity and perhaps the path and direction of your marriage or relationship.

Excert Taken From Here

AKA Lildoggie

Just found out about your spouses affair?
Infidelity Guide For The Betrayed Spouse

Re: Overcoming Infidelity: The affair is not your fault [Re: Lil] #204366
02/04/12 03:45 PM
02/04/12 03:45 PM
Gateway to the West
N
Not2fun Offline
Not2fun  Offline
N
Gateway to the West

thumbsup

I REALLY liked this one!!!!

" If you couldn't change your partner when you were together, you sure aren't going to now that you aren't together..." Words of the teacher of the court mandated parenting class...and the ONE thing that stuck out to me!!!
Re: Overcoming Infidelity: The affair is not your fault [Re: Not2fun] #204720
02/05/12 08:53 PM
02/05/12 08:53 PM
New Zealand
Lil Offline OP

Lil  Offline OP

New Zealand
The longer I am in recovery, the more I understand what advice like this is trying to tell me. I think that new BS's get such a big kick in the self esteem, messages like this one just don't infiltrate well.

AKA Lildoggie

Just found out about your spouses affair?
Infidelity Guide For The Betrayed Spouse

Re: Overcoming Infidelity: The affair is not your fault [Re: Lil] #205045
02/06/12 08:58 PM
02/06/12 08:58 PM
Vittoria Offline
Vittoria  Offline
Our minds think way too much alike. I'd been tossing around the idea of this thread topic for a long time.

Anyway, thanks for posting that article. Way overdue topic.

And you're right, this message doesn't always infiltrate immediately. Takes time and support from others to accept that the WS had another choice.

26 yrs. married
There's nothing more powerful than a woman with an open heart ......
Re: Overcoming Infidelity: The affair is not your fault [Re: Vittoria] #205219
02/07/12 04:29 AM
02/07/12 04:29 AM
for to fade Offline
for to fade  Offline
blushingoops

Last edited by tinkerbell; 02/07/12 04:37 AM.
Re: Overcoming Infidelity: The affair is not your fault [Re: Vittoria] #205220
02/07/12 04:37 AM
02/07/12 04:37 AM
for to fade Offline
for to fade  Offline
Good heavens why couldn't I see this at first, I spent so much time on lost island, too much

I liked what is said make shifts in their thinking and feelings and redesign themselves in ways that are more harmonious with whom they truly are

Moderated by  Miranda 

Newest Members
Love_Smacked, starfire, JoyfulMimi, bruers, shattered72
2048 Registered Users
Latest Topics(Posts)
Hearts Blessing5
Woman urges NC lawmakers to end child marriage: For her it was a ‘life sentence’3
63 Marriage Facts1
COVID-19 and the Increased Likelihood of Affairs3
Updates Divorce Stats4
no more rainbow members?9
BR - The Art of War - Sun Tzu5
Questions & Answers About Marriage---responses from 7-10 year old kids4
seeing new members on mobile version5
Return of the Goddess31
Community Information
2048Members
1Penalty Box
6Suspended