Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 3 guests, and 34 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
 Trending Topics(Posts)
1.How to deconstruct a marriage.0
2.I am Sick, I am Sad, and I am needing some support.0
3.SIHW is back and Dealing with issues....0
4.looking for some support0
5.Social Networking Sites and Infidelity0
6.Signs of Infidelity0
7.The Difference Between Cheating and Infidelity?0
8.Not really sure how to survive0
9.The Five Big Lies That Keep You From Changing0
10.Pregnant and getting put out of the house by my husband0
*By replies in last 2 weeks.
In The Media(Posts)
Woman urges NC lawmakers to end child marriage: For her it was a ‘life sentence’3
COVID-19 and the Increased Likelihood of Affairs3
Does anyone remember this story?3
Validation to find-win-win slutions2
Things men want3
These Are The Signs You're Dating A Narcissist3
Girlfriend's 'controlling' list of 22 rules for boyfriend goes viral: 'She sounds crazy'9
What Divorced Men Wish They Had Done Differently In Their Marriages7
Alienation of Affection / Criminal Conversation9
Would you pay your ex a 'break-up fee'? - BBC3
more >>
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
The Dysfunctional Myth of "Happily Ever After" #107374
05/17/11 09:28 PM
05/17/11 09:28 PM
The Dark Side of the Moon
AntigoneRisen Offline OP
Board of Directors
AntigoneRisen  Offline OP
Board of Directors
Prompted by recent news coverage of Prince Willam's marriage to Kate Middleton, I've decided to explicitly tackle the myth of a "Happily Ever After" which occurs after the wedding. The implicit assumption seems to be that one finds love, marries, and experiences smooth sailing thereafter. This prevalent myth that we first encounter through fairy tales contributes to unrealistic expectations in marriage, a failure to establish a solid foundation for a relationship, and an inability to react and cope with the inevitable stresses in a productive manner.

CNN Money: Happily Ever After
Tubefilter News: Prince William and Kate Middleton are ‘Happily Ever After'
Teen Vogue: "Happily ever after: Prince William and Kate Middleton finally tie the knot."
IMDB: Prince William and Kate Middleton are ‘Happily Ever After'

I could list more, but encourage you to google "William and Kate Happily Ever After" to see for yourself.

Certainly the wedding of a Prince inspires a fairy-tale like atmosphere more so than your average wedding. Underneath it all, though, many - if not most - hope for their own fairy-tale love, wedding, and happily ever after. Our projections onto William's wedding say a lot about who we are.

Yet relationship experts are almost unanimous in advising against unrealistic expectations. "Happily ever after" makes a nice bedtime story, but it has little to do with real life. In real life here's what comes after:

1.) Handling differences of opinion.
2.) Dealing with competing or conflicting priorities.
3.) Deciding whether or not to have children, and how to raise those children.
4.) Dealing with a spouse who's sick or injured.
5.) Competing career interests.
6.) Financial stress.
7.) Dishonesty.
8.) Power struggles.
9.) A good chance of infidelity.
10.) Dealing with in-laws, other family conflicts, and conflicts with and about friends.

None of these enter into our fairy-tales, and most couples - particularly the women - spend far more time planning the wedding than planning a solid foundation for the marriage. Men spend less time planning a dream wedding, but the failure to plan a solid foundation for marriage is the same.

Here are some links that deal with unrealistic expectations:

Fight Unrealistic Expectations
Dealing With Unrealistic Expectations In Marriage
#1 Marriage Killer: Unrealistic Expectations
7 Things Newlyweds Should Never Do
The ‘happily ever after' myth
7 Myths of Happily Ever After…
What happens after happily ever after?

Michele Weiner-Davis recently tweeted, "Unrealistic expectations about relationships are the viruses in unhealthy marriages."

Dr. John Gray recently tweeted an article on 10 bad relationship habits, which included expecting too much.

Dr. Willard Harley talks about What's Wrong With Unconditional Love, and Steve Harley talks about expecting things to just go smoothly without acquiring knowledge and expending effort in his article But no one told me!.

So what do you think about "Happily Ever After"?

Critical Thinking: The Other National Deficit

"That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens
Re: The Dysfunctional Myth of "Happily Ever After" [Re: AntigoneRisen] #107420
05/17/11 10:38 PM
05/17/11 10:38 PM
right here waiting Offline
Board of Directors
President
right here waiting  Offline
Board of Directors
President
After 42 years of marriage and a round of infidelity five years ago, I think "happily ever after" is a set-up for anyone who takes the idea at face value. And most young lovers do.

Married at 21, I certainly bought the fantasy. If I'd not married till I was 41, I probably would've bought it then, too. I don't believe you can KNOW what marriage is like till you've BEEN married. Once you ARE married, though, the myth soon reveals itself as a cruelty joke.

At first, you think there's something horribly wrong (most likely, your spouse). But you still want to believe the myth can be your reality. Problem is, you have no idea what to do to make it happen. You know you're not happy, and he doesn't seem to be, either. So, you fight, or withdraw...which of course doesn't make you any happier. Disillusion sets in.

If you're like us, and your belief system includes "marriage is forever," you adapt, which usually means you're still not "happy" but you "get by" by shifting your focus to kids or career, and this at least serves as a distraction from what you really wanted--the warm, intimate connection promised by "happily ever after." You can become cynical about marriage along the way, if you let yourself. Living full, if only parallel, lives can hold that at bay (did for me, anyway).

Sooner or later, though, something will happen to bring the whole house of cards down on you. For many, like us, it's infidelity, which brings the whole charade to an end. In our circle of acquaintences, it always ended in divorce.

It didn't for us. We were lucky enough to find a good recovery program, and were both laid bare enough to do the work to get real with each other. That gut-grinding process took us to a new place. Not the mythical "happily ever after," but the peace and satisfaction of an eyes-open, grown-up marriage.

I'll take it.

Re: The Dysfunctional Myth of "Happily Ever After" [Re: right here waiting] #107849
05/18/11 07:04 PM
05/18/11 07:04 PM
Not quite here
Squeaky Tree Offline
Squeaky Tree  Offline
Not quite here
I just thought I'd link this back to here

: Mark's thoughts on unmet expectations

Married 22years (this year) ~13y since dday(?)
DD17 DS14
Which way do you like yourself? ~ Stosny
Re: The Dysfunctional Myth of "Happily Ever After" [Re: Squeaky Tree] #213167
03/04/12 11:53 PM
03/04/12 11:53 PM
New Zealand
Lil Offline

Lil  Offline

New Zealand
BUMP

AKA Lildoggie

Just found out about your spouses affair?
Infidelity Guide For The Betrayed Spouse

Re: The Dysfunctional Myth of "Happily Ever After" [Re: Lil] #216533
03/19/12 12:16 AM
03/19/12 12:16 AM
AntigoneRisen Offline OP
Board of Directors
AntigoneRisen  Offline OP
Board of Directors
This thread has been published as an article.

Critical Thinking: The Other National Deficit

"That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Newest Members
Love_Smacked, starfire, JoyfulMimi, bruers, shattered72
2048 Registered Users
Latest Topics(Posts)
Hearts Blessing4
Woman urges NC lawmakers to end child marriage: For her it was a ‘life sentence’3
63 Marriage Facts1
COVID-19 and the Increased Likelihood of Affairs3
Updates Divorce Stats4
no more rainbow members?9
BR - The Art of War - Sun Tzu5
Questions & Answers About Marriage---responses from 7-10 year old kids4
seeing new members on mobile version5
Return of the Goddess31
Community Information
2048Members
1Penalty Box
6Suspended