Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 10 guests, and 36 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
 Trending Topics(Posts)
1.How to deconstruct a marriage.0
2.I am Sick, I am Sad, and I am needing some support.0
3.SIHW is back and Dealing with issues....0
4.looking for some support0
5.Social Networking Sites and Infidelity0
6.Signs of Infidelity0
7.The Difference Between Cheating and Infidelity?0
8.Not really sure how to survive0
9.The Five Big Lies That Keep You From Changing0
10.Pregnant and getting put out of the house by my husband0
*By replies in last 2 weeks.
In The Media(Posts)
Woman urges NC lawmakers to end child marriage: For her it was a ‘life sentence’3
COVID-19 and the Increased Likelihood of Affairs3
Does anyone remember this story?3
Validation to find-win-win slutions2
Things men want3
These Are The Signs You're Dating A Narcissist3
Girlfriend's 'controlling' list of 22 rules for boyfriend goes viral: 'She sounds crazy'9
What Divorced Men Wish They Had Done Differently In Their Marriages7
Alienation of Affection / Criminal Conversation9
Would you pay your ex a 'break-up fee'? - BBC3
more >>
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Automatic PM Greeting to New Members #237382
06/02/12 09:50 PM
06/02/12 09:50 PM
The Dark Side of the Moon
AntigoneRisen Offline OP
Board of Directors
AntigoneRisen  Offline OP
Board of Directors
All,

As you might remember (long time ago for some), the UBB software automatically sends a PM to new members when their account is verified and approved.

This is a fairly generic greeting. RHW and I were talking a few days ago about this being the perfect place to say to a new member what we'd like them to know.

I can change the text quite easily. The bigger question is: What should the greeting say?

I thought I'd put this out here to see what the membership thinks and get some of our creative minds on it.

What do you say? Want to help bite off this one?

~AR

Critical Thinking: The Other National Deficit

"That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens
Re: Automatic PM Greeting to New Members [Re: AntigoneRisen] #237429
06/03/12 03:27 AM
06/03/12 03:27 AM
right here waiting Offline
Board of Directors
President
right here waiting  Offline
Board of Directors
President
I'm one of those who signed up long enough ago that I have no clue what that initial PM said. Can you give us the text so we know what they're getting now?

I'd think we'd want to:

-Welcome a new member warmly, with assurances that the folks here have dealt with nearly every marital issue and will support them through theirs;

-Point out that we have a few simple rules that are covered in our TOS, but the most important boils down to: "Be respectful in your posting. These are real people here; many are in pain."

-Link to the Welcome Wagon thread.

That's for openers.

Re: Automatic PM Greeting to New Members [Re: right here waiting] #237430
06/03/12 03:29 AM
06/03/12 03:29 AM
AntigoneRisen Offline OP
Board of Directors
Board of Directors
They receive this:

Originally Posted By: MA Admin
Welcome to our forums! Please take a moment to review and update your profile and preferences to take full advantage of our features. You can do this by clicking on "Edit Profile" and "Edit Preferences" in the My Stuff dropdown.

Please do not reply to this message as this is just an automated welcome message to thank you for joining our community.

"That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens
Re: Automatic PM Greeting to New Members [Re: AntigoneRisen] #237436
06/03/12 04:33 AM
06/03/12 04:33 AM
Board of Directors
President
Board of Directors
President
Thanks, AR. I don't remember getting that, nor whether it drove me to my profile, but I'd be willing to put into purple prose anything we decide to add to it. grin

Re: Automatic PM Greeting to New Members [Re: right here waiting] #237442
06/03/12 06:10 AM
06/03/12 06:10 AM
New Zealand
Lil Offline

Lil  Offline

New Zealand
something like the oft repeated greeting Ace and i give on the welcome thread. Links to the welcome wagon at a minimum, maybe a few cautions about TMI info since that happens often

AKA Lildoggie

Just found out about your spouses affair?
Infidelity Guide For The Betrayed Spouse

Re: Automatic PM Greeting to New Members [Re: Lil] #237529
06/04/12 01:39 AM
06/04/12 01:39 AM
AntigoneRisen Offline OP
Board of Directors
Board of Directors
I say that we re-write the whole thing. Seriously, do we want our first message to them to be about their display preferences? I'm thinking not.

Re: Automatic PM Greeting to New Members [Re: AntigoneRisen] #237543
06/04/12 03:39 AM
06/04/12 03:39 AM
Board of Directors
President
Board of Directors
President
Welcome to our forums! Whatever your marital concern, there are folks here who have worked through it and will offer help and support. We hope their experience will help you work through whatever challenges your marriage.

Take a look around the Welcome area. Youll find, Information for Navigating the Site, A Guide to MAs Staff, and A Handy List of Acronyms.

We have some basic rules here-- Terms of Service -- but the most important boil down to Be respectful when posting.

Browse the helpful articles and threadsmake yourself at home. Feel free to start your own thread in whichever forum your situation fits. If you need help, just send a Private Message to one of the moderators. Or just start a thread and yell for help! Someone will be along shortly. nod

Again, welcome to Marriage Advocates.

Last edited by right here waiting; 06/04/12 03:54 AM. Reason: Have at it, folks!
Re: Automatic PM Greeting to New Members [Re: right here waiting] #237545
06/04/12 03:57 AM
06/04/12 03:57 AM
AntigoneRisen Offline OP
Board of Directors
Board of Directors
One quick suggestion:

Originally Posted By: right here waiting
Welcome to our forums the Marriage Advocates Discussion Forum! Whatever your marital concern, there are folks here who have worked through it and will offer help and support. We hope their experience will help you work through whatever challenges your marriage.

Take a look around the Welcome area. Youll find, Information for Navigating the Site, A Guide to MAs Staff, and A Handy List of Acronyms.

We have some basic rules here-- Terms of Service -- but the most important boil down to Be respectful when posting.

Browse the helpful articles and threadsmake yourself at home. Feel free to start your own thread in whichever forum your situation fits. If you need help, just send a Private Message to one of the moderators. Or just start a thread and yell for help! Someone will be along shortly. nod

Re: Automatic PM Greeting to New Members [Re: AntigoneRisen] #237549
06/04/12 04:07 AM
06/04/12 04:07 AM
Board of Directors
President
Board of Directors
President
Yep. Better.

I've got a couple more tweaks:

Welcome to the Marriage Advocates Discussion Forum! Whatever your marital concern, there are folks here who have worked through it and will offer help and support. We hope their experience will help you work through whatever challenge your marriage is experiencing.

Take a look around the Welcome area. Youll find Information for Navigating the Site, A Guide to MAs Staff, and A Handy List of Acronyms.

We have some basic rules here -- Terms of Service -- but the most important boil down to Be respectful when posting.

Browse the helpful articles and threadsmake yourself at home. Feel free to start your own thread in whichever forum your situation fits. If you need help, send a Private Message to one of the moderators. Or just start a thread and yell for help! Someone will be along shortly. nod

Re: Automatic PM Greeting to New Members [Re: right here waiting] #237627
06/04/12 04:53 PM
06/04/12 04:53 PM
Monterey, CA
Fiddler Offline
Board of Directors
Fiddler  Offline
Board of Directors
Monterey, CA
You guys are good! smile

"Grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know that one is me."
Re: Automatic PM Greeting to New Members [Re: Fiddler] #238042
06/06/12 03:00 AM
06/06/12 03:00 AM
New Zealand
Lil Offline

Lil  Offline

New Zealand
"We would love to get to know you better, so feel free to share with us a little about yourself"

and maybe something about the fact that we utilise a broad range of resources for marital improvement/help. You guys are better writers than me smile

AKA Lildoggie

Re: Automatic PM Greeting to New Members [Re: right here waiting] #238048
06/06/12 03:36 AM
06/06/12 03:36 AM
Board of Directors
President
Board of Directors
President
Thanks, lil. smile

Welcome to the Marriage Advocates Discussion Forum! Whatever your marital concern, there are folks here who have worked through it and will offer help and support. We hope their experience will help you work through whatever challenge your marriage is experiencing.

Take a look around the Welcome area. Youll find Information for Navigating the Site, A Guide to MAs Staff, and A Handy List of Acronyms.

We have some basic rules here -- Terms of Service -- but the most important boil down to Be respectful when posting.

Browse the helpful articles and threadsmake yourself at home. Feel free to start your own thread in whichever forum your situation fits. If you need help, send a Private Message to one of the moderators. Or just start a thread and yell for help! Someone will be along shortly. nod

Again, welcome to Marriage Advocates. We look forward to getting to know you.

Re: Automatic PM Greeting to New Members [Re: right here waiting] #238120
06/06/12 04:21 PM
06/06/12 04:21 PM
for to fade Offline
for to fade  Offline
Yep. Better.

I've got a couple more tweaks:

Instead of "We have some basic rules here" what about 'There are some bacis rules on our site'

Instead of "Again, welcome to Marriage Advocates" what about 'Please give us a try, we would love to get to know you and help'

If you don't change it, I like what you put.

And what about hug at the end
tink

Last edited by tinkerbell; 06/06/12 04:24 PM.
Re: Automatic PM Greeting to New Members [Re: right here waiting] #238357
06/07/12 01:52 PM
06/07/12 01:52 PM
Ace Offline
Advocate
Ace  Offline
Advocate

Agree with Fiddler. You guys are good. I kept looking for this thread on the Advocates forum, wondering where it went. Silly me.

Not sure if this addition is valid but I, for one, wandered onto MB's web site accidentally and had no clue what a discussion forum was. I was totally naive about computer "tricks" and wondered why some people posted a blue "here" that showed a line under it whenever I rolled my cursor over it. Obviously I knew nothing about links and how they worked. As I said, I was naive and others may be similar.....or not.

IDEA: Add the following line (may have to be reworded so it doesn't offend the sophisticated poster).

Quote:

Like on other discussion forums, you may click on the blue (underlined) links to access resources quickly. Please take a look around the Welcome area. Youll find Information for Navigating the Site, A Guide to MAs Staff, and A Handy List of Acronyms.

Browse the helpful articles and threadsmake yourself at home. Feel free to start your own thread in whichever forum your situation fits. If you need help, send a Private Message to one of the moderators. Or just start a thread and yell for help! Someone will be along shortly.

Ooops. Sorry the blue links disappeared when I c/p instead of quick-quoting. See how naive I still am? eek

Ace

We're overcoming decades of marital dysfunction including abuse, passive aggression, gas-lighting & infidelity (both of us).

Our Weird and Ongoing Story
Re: Automatic PM Greeting to New Members [Re: right here waiting] #238409
06/07/12 04:55 PM
06/07/12 04:55 PM
Board of Directors
President
Board of Directors
President

Take a look around the Welcome area. Click on these links and youll find: Information for Navigating the Site, A Guide to MAs Staff, and A Handy List of Acronyms.

There are some basic rules on our site -- Terms of Service -- but the most important boil down to Be respectful when posting.

Last edited by right here waiting; 06/07/12 05:03 PM. Reason: incorporating others' ideas
Re: Automatic PM Greeting to New Members [Re: right here waiting] #238789
06/09/12 01:21 PM
06/09/12 01:21 PM
Ace Offline
Advocate
Ace  Offline
Advocate
Looking good.

Since the suggestion is made to "send a Private Message to a Mod", it might be good to mention briefly "how" PMs work. The following bolded insertion needs wordsmithing and may be in the wrong place but would have been helpful for newbies like me (who originally thought the blinking red thingy was a design decoration.)

Take a look around the Welcome area. Click on these links and you'll find: Information for Navigating the Site, A Guide to MA's Staff, and A Handy List of Acronyms.

There are some basic rules on our site -- Terms of Service -- but the most important boil down to "Be respectful when posting."

Browse the helpful articles and threads...make yourself at home. Feel free to start your own thread in whichever forum your situation fits. If you need help, send a Private Message to one of the moderators by clicking on their name below and then clicking on the blue link marked "Send a Private Message." (You might have an incoming PM indicated by a blinking white envelope between the "My Stuff" and "User List" tabs above. If so, click on the blinking envelope link to access your own PM inbox.) Or just start a thread and yell for help! Someone will be along shortly. nod

TECH NOTE TO AR: When I quick-quoted RHW's post, some elipses, apostrophes and quotation marks were replaced by little boxes on my screen. Did it happen on anyone else's screen? ETA: Just noticed that after I hit submit, the little boxes have been replaced by the number sign and random (to me) numbers. eek

Take a look around the Welcome area. Click on these links and you’ll find: Information for Navigating the Site, A Guide to MA’s Staff, and A Handy List of Acronyms.

There are some basic rules on our site -- Terms of Service -- but the most important boil down to “Be respectful when posting.”

Browse the helpful articles and threads…make yourself at home. Feel free to start your own thread in whichever forum your situation fits. If you need help, send a Private Message to one of the moderators. Or just start a thread and yell for help! Someone will be along shortly. nod

Last edited by Ace; 06/09/12 01:28 PM. Reason: Add to tech note to AR about issues with apostrophes, elipses and quotation marks.
Re: Automatic PM Greeting to New Members [Re: Ace] #238790
06/09/12 01:34 PM
06/09/12 01:34 PM
wiser_now Offline
wiser_now  Offline
I was just wondering about this sentence:

There are some basic rules on our site -- Terms of Service -- but the most important boil down to "Be respectful when posting."

Shouldn't boil be boils?

I understand that the rules (plural) boil down but I think it changes when you use "the most important" (singular).

Hope this makes sense. If not, just ignore me.

A happy marriage is a long conversation which always seems too short. --Andre Maurois

Re: Automatic PM Greeting to New Members [Re: wiser_now] #238868
06/09/12 08:48 PM
06/09/12 08:48 PM
Ace Offline
Advocate
Ace  Offline
Advocate
Originally Posted By: wiser_now

waves Hi WN...naahhh...we'll never ignore you.

Has anyone told you today how much we appreciate your contributions to MA?
Consider it said. claps

Ace

ETA: I think you may be right on the boil/boils issue.

Last edited by Ace; 06/09/12 08:49 PM. Reason: forgot to post my point:
Re: Automatic PM Greeting to New Members [Re: wiser_now] #238869
06/09/12 08:59 PM
06/09/12 08:59 PM
Board of Directors
President
Board of Directors
President
I was just wondering about this sentence:

Shouldn't boil be boils?

I understand that the rules (plural) boil down but I think it changes when you use "the most important" (singular).

Nope. While "the most important" can be either singular or plural, in this case it refers to rules, which is plural. "the most important (of them) boil down to..." If we were referring to only one rule, it'd be different.

Re: Automatic PM Greeting to New Members [Re: right here waiting] #238871
06/09/12 09:26 PM
06/09/12 09:26 PM
wiser_now Offline
wiser_now  Offline
I like Ace's answer better.

ROFL

A happy marriage is a long conversation which always seems too short. --Andre Maurois

Re: Automatic PM Greeting to New Members [Re: wiser_now] #238872
06/09/12 09:40 PM
06/09/12 09:40 PM
Ace Offline
Advocate
Ace  Offline
Advocate
I like Ace's answer better.

ROFL

Shall we just ignore RHW since she's such a smartie? laugh1

Re: Automatic PM Greeting to New Members [Re: Ace] #238875
06/09/12 09:48 PM
06/09/12 09:48 PM
wiser_now Offline
wiser_now  Offline
Yes, let's!!!!

nod

PS: Ace, thank you for the kind words, too. hug

Re: Automatic PM Greeting to New Members [Re: wiser_now] #239125
06/11/12 04:56 PM
06/11/12 04:56 PM
Board of Directors
President
Board of Directors
President
Ah, the curse of having been an English teacher--it drives friends away (to say nothing of high school kids). cliff

Re: Automatic PM Greeting to New Members [Re: right here waiting] #240104
06/15/12 03:16 AM
06/15/12 03:16 AM
New Zealand
Lil Offline

Lil  Offline

New Zealand
So... have we got a nice new greeting yet?

AKA Lildoggie

Re: Automatic PM Greeting to New Members [Re: Lil] #245029
07/04/12 10:21 PM
07/04/12 10:21 PM
AntigoneRisen Offline OP
Board of Directors
Board of Directors
I'm reviewing this, because I'd like to get it implemented.

Ace - there are some characters which aren't supported. UBB translates what you paste in for HTML compliance. Some of the characters then come out literally &#256. See this reference on what these are supposed to do: http://www.ascii.cl/htmlcodes.htm

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Chrysalis 

Newest Members
Love_Smacked, starfire, JoyfulMimi, bruers, shattered72
2048 Registered Users
Latest Topics(Posts)
Hearts Blessing4
Woman urges NC lawmakers to end child marriage: For her it was a ‘life sentence’3
63 Marriage Facts1
COVID-19 and the Increased Likelihood of Affairs3
Updates Divorce Stats4
no more rainbow members?9
BR - The Art of War - Sun Tzu5
Questions & Answers About Marriage---responses from 7-10 year old kids4
seeing new members on mobile version5
Return of the Goddess31
Community Information
2048Members
1Penalty Box
6Suspended