Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 5 guests, and 36 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
 Trending Topics(Posts)
1.Ask Amy's very bad advice on affairs1
2.Things men want1
3.The Joke Thread1
4.Hearts Blessing1
5.Financial counselor says communication is key when mixing money and marriage - Grand Forks Herald0
6.Daughter says father made ominous threats if his wife sought a divorce - Portland Press Herald0
7.A Straight Spouse Of A Gay Husband Speaks Out0
8.Rise Above Past Relationship Failures - Psychology Today0
9.Toxic Relationship dynamics0
10.Women Who Don't Orgasm - Psychology Today0
*By replies in last 2 weeks.
In The Media(Posts)
Woman urges NC lawmakers to end child marriage: For her it was a ‘life sentence’3
COVID-19 and the Increased Likelihood of Affairs3
Does anyone remember this story?3
Validation to find-win-win slutions2
Things men want4
These Are The Signs You're Dating A Narcissist3
Girlfriend's 'controlling' list of 22 rules for boyfriend goes viral: 'She sounds crazy'9
What Divorced Men Wish They Had Done Differently In Their Marriages7
Alienation of Affection / Criminal Conversation9
Would you pay your ex a 'break-up fee'? - BBC3
more >>
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Parental alienation #285820
03/14/13 05:17 PM
03/14/13 05:17 PM
S
SmilingWife Offline OP
Global Moderator
SmilingWife  Offline OP
Global Moderator
S
Instead of focusing on a label or diagnosis, most experts now agree that we should speak of “the alienated child” and the behaviors we can observe in that child in relation to the alienated parent.

Some of those observable behaviors include:

Anger that the child cannot explain in an age-appropriate way, or that is based on absurd rationalizations

Resistance to visitation that is not occasion-specific but constant and vehement

Acting out in unusually overt, hostile ways while in alienated parent’s care or custody

Frequent strong expressions of hatred or apathy targeting the alienated parent to a third party, or a targeted campaign of denouncement of the alienated parent

Automatic reflexive support of the non-alienated parent, no matter how absurd or indefensible that parent’s position may be

Knee-jerk dismissal of any suggestion that the child’s hostility towards the alienated parent is in any way not the child’s own conclusion – that it has been influenced by others, or “planted” by others

Scripted, borrowed language used when the child talks about the alienated parent, particularly when criticizing the parent

Rejection of any extended family that is associated or aligned with the alienated parent

Re: Parental alienation [Re: SmilingWife] #285849
03/14/13 06:14 PM
03/14/13 06:14 PM
for to fade Offline
for to fade  Offline
Good information. Child pawns, very wrong thing to do.

Re: Parental alienation [Re: for to fade] #285876
03/14/13 06:53 PM
03/14/13 06:53 PM
Gateway to the West
N
Not2fun Offline
Not2fun  Offline
N
Gateway to the West
It's just so sad when parents do this to each other because the biggest losers end up being the kid/kids. Except in cases of abuse or addictions, there is no good reason for it.

SW, I often think of you and your sitch when dealing with my own kids and our pending D. We do not have a set visitation at this time since Mr. Not doesn't have his own place, but he is free to see the kids whenever he wants to. The only provision we have set up is that if there is something special or important either of us has planned in the future, let the other know. This is because of some trial and error we have had. We're learning and adapting as we go along. My youngest two will nearly always put up a fight about going (they are 14 & 16). I make them anyway. Mr. Not hates that but that's a whole seperate issue that doesn't really include me.

I just don't understand women (and let's be honest....it's usually the moms who do this) who do this. No matter how much they may dislike their XH's, the kids are still his. And sometimes you have to put your feelings aside for the sake of the kids. And when they are teens, you almost always have to make them do things thy dont want to.....

I hate what you and your H have to deal with....

Not2

" If you couldn't change your partner when you were together, you sure aren't going to now that you aren't together..." Words of the teacher of the court mandated parenting class...and the ONE thing that stuck out to me!!!
Re: Parental alienation [Re: Not2fun] #285881
03/14/13 07:01 PM
03/14/13 07:01 PM
TX
CajunRose Offline
CajunRose  Offline
TX
Even with addictions, alienation is not necessary.

My xBIL fought addictions for several years and ended up in rehab (and then jail, because rather than pay child support for his first child he bought drugs). My sister told their son that his dad had made some stupid choices and had to face the consequences. She answers her son's questions and doesn't editorialize.

Sometimes you have to take the high road and step out of what you think and think about what is best for the children. Too many people can't do that.

Current spouse: Night. D10, D9, S7

About me

You can't direct the wind, but you can adjust your sails.

http://www.divorcedmomfinances.com
Re: Parental alienation [Re: CajunRose] #285926
03/14/13 08:43 PM
03/14/13 08:43 PM
S
SmilingWife Offline OP
Global Moderator
SmilingWife  Offline OP
Global Moderator
S
What gets me about this is that I feel like I was pretty crazed in the early days after D-day. I certainly was not the poster woman for 'mom of the year' as regards how I dealt with my ds and his dad...but time yields a little clarity on one's behavior and what it might be doing to your child. I've had to apologize to my ds (who was 9 on D day and 13 now) several times for things I've said about his dad.

Dh's XW acts like dh cheated on HER and that the divorce happened last week instead of almost 5 years ago. I told dh just this morning that she has demonized dh in her mind and she has to keep up that belief in order to justify to herself and the boys leaving dh. And certainly she has convinced her husband that my dh deserves all the venom she is spewing....

Mind boggling really. I think it helps dh to see this list so clearly...because he often times sits around wondering what he might have done sooooo wrong that makes his ds hate him. I hope he can get to the point he lets it go realizing he didn't cause it and he can't fix it. Beyond doing what he can to maintain contact there is not much dh can do.

Moderated by  Fiddler 

Newest Members
Love_Smacked, starfire, JoyfulMimi, bruers, shattered72
2048 Registered Users
Latest Topics(Posts)
Hearts Blessing5
Woman urges NC lawmakers to end child marriage: For her it was a ‘life sentence’3
63 Marriage Facts1
COVID-19 and the Increased Likelihood of Affairs3
Updates Divorce Stats4
no more rainbow members?9
BR - The Art of War - Sun Tzu5
Questions & Answers About Marriage---responses from 7-10 year old kids4
seeing new members on mobile version5
Return of the Goddess31
Community Information
2048Members
1Penalty Box
6Suspended