Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 3 guests, and 38 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
 Trending Topics(Posts)
1.How to deconstruct a marriage.0
2.I am Sick, I am Sad, and I am needing some support.0
3.SIHW is back and Dealing with issues....0
4.looking for some support0
5.Social Networking Sites and Infidelity0
6.Signs of Infidelity0
7.The Difference Between Cheating and Infidelity?0
8.Not really sure how to survive0
9.The Five Big Lies That Keep You From Changing0
10.Pregnant and getting put out of the house by my husband0
*By replies in last 2 weeks.
In The Media(Posts)
Woman urges NC lawmakers to end child marriage: For her it was a ‘life sentence’3
COVID-19 and the Increased Likelihood of Affairs3
Does anyone remember this story?3
Validation to find-win-win slutions2
Things men want3
These Are The Signs You're Dating A Narcissist3
Girlfriend's 'controlling' list of 22 rules for boyfriend goes viral: 'She sounds crazy'9
What Divorced Men Wish They Had Done Differently In Their Marriages7
Alienation of Affection / Criminal Conversation9
Would you pay your ex a 'break-up fee'? - BBC3
more >>
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Don't Fence Me In #288931
04/02/13 12:19 PM
04/02/13 12:19 PM
Utah
Kayla Offline OP
Kayla  Offline OP
Utah
Written as a sequel to Strokes and Boundaries

Quote:
Just turn me loose
Let me straddle my old saddle underneath the western skies
On my cayuse
Let me wander over yonder till I see the mountains rise
I want to ride to the ridge where the west commences
Gaze at the moon until I loose my senses
I Can't look at hobbles and I can't stand fences

"Don't push!" - how frequently do you hear a wayward or addict say this to push back at a family member who has had enough bad behavior? I heard it all of my childhood. My mom would be begging my dad to stop drinking because it made him an abusive SOB.

Or how about this one: "I can handle myself. This is different."?

Ironic that a song sung at my dad's funeral a year ago this month was about avoiding boundaries. "Bind me not to the pasture, chain me not to the plow. Set me free to find my calling and I'll return to you somehow."

Truly boundaries are self-imposed. An addict who chooses recovery sets boundaries upon themselves. "Bottom lines" where they won't go near in order to stay sober. A mentally ill person who recognizes where they start to go off the rails also imposes boundaries on themselves. John Nash, as portrayed in "A Beautiful Mind" recognized that some of the characters in his life never aged. That's how he began to recognize real from delusion. He also recognized that the delusional characters showed up more when he was solving mathematical patterns/problems. So he avoided indulging. He avoided stepping off that ledge.

A wayward who wants recovery might ask his/her betrayed spouse for suggestions but it's truly up to them to take extraordinary precautions.

A man who has betrayed his wife through a secret second life might have a list of extraordinary precautions that goes like this:

• Wife has passwords to all email accounts, online discussion boards, and has a complete list of places I go online and is free and welcome to read what I write.
  • I have no memberships in fantasy boards or games anymore.
  • I limit my time online recovery meetings and conversations to one hour per day, and face-to-face is preferred to online.
  • I limit one-to-one recovery relationships/conversations to same gender only, to avoid any emotional investments in any relationships outside of my family, particularly my wife, and a circle of friends that WE choose together. Even then, there is no one-to-one investment, but rather a group comradery.
  • My day is filled with purpose-driven activity: earning a livelihood to provide and care for my family, study from scriptures and other good books, and companionship activities with my wife, and family activities.
  • I recognize that I'm not immune to the trap of receiving love bank deposits from people other than my wife; and that when I allow others to invest in me emotionally, I'm harming them, but more importantly, I am robbing my wife of the ability to meet my needs.
  • The very act of repeatedly interacting one-to-one with other women, especially in recovery groups leaves me vulnerable to falling short on other amends and extraordinary precautions, which robs my wife of the opportunity and reasons to admire me and meet my needs.

These are boundaries a wayward seeking recovery can impose on himself. But what about the wife who's husband had not reached the point of valuing the marriage sufficiently to impose boundaries upon himself?

Her boundaries might look completely different - like an ever increasing hard line approach. She has to reach the point of recognizing that he who cares the least about the marriage has the most power. And while she may not want to harm the marriage, she must recognize that she doesn't have a marriage with a man who neglects to impose boundaries upon himself to protect her and the marriage.

She must take responsibility for her own boundaries, as painful as this might be to her. So her corresponding list might look like this:

• I will not pay for internet that harms my family.
  • I will not support a man who has a secret second life, either on the internet, on the phone, or in face to face. And I will not live under the same roof with a man who feels entitled to these things.
  • I will exercise daily and take care of my body, mind and heart through healthy eating, breathing, thinking and living.
  • I will speak the truth, and find a way to do so in a way that is free of lovebusters, while at the same time stepping into the conflict rather than avoiding it.
  • I cannot support a husband financially who is not earning at least a baseline income through whatever legal means possible. An unemployed husband must be out of the house looking for work 9 hours a day, as if he were working full time. There is plenty of temp agency work where he can find placement for any day he doesn't have permanent work lined up. If he won't impose this kind of effort requirement upon himself, he will need to find another place to live until he decides to be a husband.

Truthfully, this list is just off the top of my head and what's on my mind at the moment. There are many more boundaries that I haven't defined for both sides here.

When I think about fences and boundaries, the truth of the matter is that there is no such thing as being completely free of boundaries. Either we impose boundaries and fence ourselves into living right, or we take on the bondage of addiction, poverty, isolation, and eventually a very lonely death.

Consider that we don't have to live with the consequences of our advice in your life. Act according to what you can live with!
Re: Don't Fence Me In [Re: Kayla] #288939
04/02/13 01:49 PM
04/02/13 01:49 PM
NewEveryDay Offline
Advocate
NewEveryDay  Offline
Advocate
Quote:
Either we impose boundaries and fence ourselves into living right, or we take on the bondage of addiction, poverty, isolation, and eventually a very lonely death.

So true, there's only so much we can do to separate loved ones from the natural consequences of their actions.

"I have everything I need." and "I am exactly where I am supposed to be." ~Louise Hays
Re: Don't Fence Me In [Re: NewEveryDay] #288945
04/02/13 01:57 PM
04/02/13 01:57 PM
midwest
Miranda Offline
Global Moderator
Miranda  Offline
Global Moderator
midwest
I said something in therapy a while back, and I keep on thinking back on it. Now this was in context to a very heavy therapy session, so keep that in mind. I said "I don't ever feel safe. I don't think I ever really have" The therapist and my DH were blown away by that, but I realize that the reason I feel that way is that I lack the skills to keep MYSELF safe. Boundary skills are something I never learned, and desperately need. Counting on others to keep me safe is NEVER going to result in me actually feeling like I AM safe. Being personally responsible for my own safety is the key to all of it.

When we open to this moment and don't judge it or try to change it, even when we're suffering and wish it were otherwise, we tap into the spaciousness of mind that allows us to move forward skillfully, with discernment and joy. -- Sharon Salzberg
Re: Don't Fence Me In [Re: Miranda] #289156
04/03/13 12:12 AM
04/03/13 12:12 AM
B
believer Offline
believer  Offline
B
Your post resonated with me, Kayla. "Don't Fence Me" probably should have been my WH's theme song. He had FOO issues and I couldn't save him. His mantra was "I am what I am, take me or leave me."

In the end, he chose no boundaries, being poor, addicted, isolated, and separated from God. He died very alone.

"I feel sad that I focused so much on his potential and so little on mine."
Re: Don't Fence Me In [Re: Kayla] #289616
04/05/13 12:18 PM
04/05/13 12:18 PM
Kandyman Offline
Kandyman  Offline
Kayla, Your Emotional Wants Information Is Requested
Emotional WANTS Assessment

ps I'm Tangled Up In You

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires. (William Arthur Ward )

Moderated by  Fiddler 

Newest Members
Love_Smacked, starfire, JoyfulMimi, bruers, shattered72
2048 Registered Users
Latest Topics(Posts)
Hearts Blessing4
Woman urges NC lawmakers to end child marriage: For her it was a ‘life sentence’3
63 Marriage Facts1
COVID-19 and the Increased Likelihood of Affairs3
Updates Divorce Stats4
no more rainbow members?9
BR - The Art of War - Sun Tzu5
Questions & Answers About Marriage---responses from 7-10 year old kids4
seeing new members on mobile version5
Return of the Goddess31
Community Information
2048Members
1Penalty Box
6Suspended