Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 5 guests, and 36 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
 Trending Topics(Posts)
1.Ask Amy's very bad advice on affairs1
2.Things men want1
3.The Joke Thread1
4.Hearts Blessing1
5.Financial counselor says communication is key when mixing money and marriage - Grand Forks Herald0
6.Daughter says father made ominous threats if his wife sought a divorce - Portland Press Herald0
7.A Straight Spouse Of A Gay Husband Speaks Out0
8.Rise Above Past Relationship Failures - Psychology Today0
9.Toxic Relationship dynamics0
10.Women Who Don't Orgasm - Psychology Today0
*By replies in last 2 weeks.
In The Media(Posts)
Woman urges NC lawmakers to end child marriage: For her it was a ‘life sentence’3
COVID-19 and the Increased Likelihood of Affairs3
Does anyone remember this story?3
Validation to find-win-win slutions2
Things men want4
These Are The Signs You're Dating A Narcissist3
Girlfriend's 'controlling' list of 22 rules for boyfriend goes viral: 'She sounds crazy'9
What Divorced Men Wish They Had Done Differently In Their Marriages7
Alienation of Affection / Criminal Conversation9
Would you pay your ex a 'break-up fee'? - BBC3
more >>
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: ***SPORTS SPOUSES: Does Your Spouse's Sports Passion Affect Your Marriage? *** [Re: Chrysalis] #363353
09/19/14 06:35 AM
09/19/14 06:35 AM
Ace Offline OP
Advocate
Ace  Offline OP
Advocate
Originally Posted By: Chrysalis
We are on a quest to visit all the ball parks in our lifetimes, and just got back from St Louis and KC over the weekend. So the presence of sports has been good for our whole family.

Have you considered going to the National Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, NY? H and I both want to go one of these days.

I liked baseball when I was in junior high because of the cute guys. We often volunteered to man the hand-operated score-board during games because it was behind the opposing team's bench; my girlfriends and I loved flirting with the players.

Fast-forward 8 years and I met and married a guy with a huge passion for baseball. Go figure.

Re: ***SPORTS SPOUSES: Does Your Spouse's Sports Passion Affect Your Marriage? *** [Re: AntigoneRisen] #363354
09/19/14 06:42 AM
09/19/14 06:42 AM
Ace Offline OP
Advocate
Ace  Offline OP
Advocate
Originally Posted By: AntigoneRisen
Navigating sports was - and is - a part of my marriage. I can't say that it has affected the quality of it, but perhaps it would have if we hadn't handled it the way we did.

So what could you have done differently regarding sports that might have impacted your marriage in a positive way and improved its quality?

Re: ***SPORTS SPOUSES: Does Your Spouse's Sports Passion Affect Your Marriage? *** [Re: Ace] #363387
09/19/14 05:43 PM
09/19/14 05:43 PM
The Dark Side of the Moon
AntigoneRisen Offline
Board of Directors
AntigoneRisen  Offline
Board of Directors
The Dark Side of the Moon
Well, I enjoy sports and so does he. We didn't have overlapping or competing teams (how could we?). We were both open to learning about the other's sport and to be involved.

Critical Thinking: The Other National Deficit

"That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens
Re: ***SPORTS SPOUSES: Does Your Spouse's Sports Passion Affect Your Marriage? *** [Re: AntigoneRisen] #363395
09/19/14 06:02 PM
09/19/14 06:02 PM
midwest
Miranda Offline
Global Moderator
Miranda  Offline
Global Moderator
midwest
I was going to comment about that, AR. I think one of the key things about this for me was my willingness to learn and engage.

I walked into a house full of boys. They had been on their own for a while, and had bonded as boys/men will. So I had to use my curiosity and willingness to learn, to take opportunities to engage with them on their turf and integrate with them. Yeah, I could have just wandered off during their Chicago Bulls fever and read a book. But look at how much FUN they were having! And it was important to them. So, even though I had no IDEA what it was about, I sat down, and allowed myself to be the "dumb" one for a change. They taught me, and laughed at me a little, and we all had a great time.

When the boys got older and played sports, I became a rabid fan of their teams. With cowbells, and airhorns, foam fingers, etc. It was good stuff.

DH and I will watch a game on tv occasionally now, neither one of us cares much. It's something to do on a boring afternoon when the weather sucks.

When we open to this moment and don't judge it or try to change it, even when we're suffering and wish it were otherwise, we tap into the spaciousness of mind that allows us to move forward skillfully, with discernment and joy. -- Sharon Salzberg
Re: ***SPORTS SPOUSES: Does Your Spouse's Sports Passion Affect Your Marriage? *** [Re: Ace] #445287
11/28/20 02:46 PM
11/28/20 02:46 PM
Ace Offline OP
Advocate
Ace  Offline OP
Advocate
Originally Posted by Ace
AntigoneRisen recently (actually back in 2014) posted a marriage news story about how a swap in baseball team loyalties was forced by marriage.

I said I'd start a CZ thread and then found this thread dancing with crickets for nearly 4 years* in the bowels of the Construction Zone. It's not exactly the same issue but seems related enough to continue the subject here.

*Well, now it's been 6 more years but someone (or something) was reading this thread today so it's time to bump it.

We're overcoming decades of marital dysfunction including abuse, passive aggression, gas-lighting & infidelity (both of us).

Our Weird and Ongoing Story
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Chrysalis 

Newest Members
Love_Smacked, starfire, JoyfulMimi, bruers, shattered72
2048 Registered Users
Latest Topics(Posts)
Hearts Blessing5
Woman urges NC lawmakers to end child marriage: For her it was a ‘life sentence’3
63 Marriage Facts1
COVID-19 and the Increased Likelihood of Affairs3
Updates Divorce Stats4
no more rainbow members?9
BR - The Art of War - Sun Tzu5
Questions & Answers About Marriage---responses from 7-10 year old kids4
seeing new members on mobile version5
Return of the Goddess31
Community Information
2048Members
1Penalty Box
6Suspended