Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 12 guests, and 36 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
 Trending Topics(Posts)
1.The Next Stage - Plan B, Protection Phase6
2.The Joke Thread2
3.Woman urges NC lawmakers to end child marriage: For her it was a ‘life sentence’1
4.Updates Divorce Stats1
5.The Demand Man1
6.What's Wrong With "I Messages"1
7.I had a black dog. His name was depression1
8.Changes to MA's Main Menu Bar0
9.Disappearing Posts and Threads0
10.New process for display name change requests0
*By replies in last 2 weeks.
In The Media(Posts)
Woman urges NC lawmakers to end child marriage: For her it was a ‘life sentence’1
COVID-19 and the Increased Likelihood of Affairs3
Does anyone remember this story?3
Validation to find-win-win slutions2
Things men want3
These Are The Signs You're Dating A Narcissist3
Girlfriend's 'controlling' list of 22 rules for boyfriend goes viral: 'She sounds crazy'9
What Divorced Men Wish They Had Done Differently In Their Marriages7
Alienation of Affection / Criminal Conversation9
Would you pay your ex a 'break-up fee'? - BBC3
more >>
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 45 1 2 3 4 44 45
Re: Am I still a doormat? [Re: holdingontoit] #415043
10/19/16 07:24 PM
10/19/16 07:24 PM
midwest
Miranda Offline
Global Moderator
Miranda  Offline
Global Moderator
midwest
That is WONDERFUL news. Thanks for sharing it with us Hold.

When we open to this moment and don't judge it or try to change it, even when we're suffering and wish it were otherwise, we tap into the spaciousness of mind that allows us to move forward skillfully, with discernment and joy. -- Sharon Salzberg
Re: Am I still a doormat? [Re: Miranda] #415045
10/19/16 07:36 PM
10/19/16 07:36 PM
S
SmilingWife Offline
Global Moderator
SmilingWife  Offline
Global Moderator
S
Yes that is great news

Re: Am I still a doormat? [Re: holdingontoit] #415050
10/19/16 08:13 PM
10/19/16 08:13 PM
South
O
Oblivious2678 Offline
Oblivious2678  Offline
O
South
Very happy to read this! thumbsup

Re: Am I still a doormat? [Re: Oblivious2678] #415066
10/19/16 09:37 PM
10/19/16 09:37 PM
HI
O
Orchid2 Offline
Ambassador
Orchid2  Offline
Ambassador
O
HI
Originally Posted By: Oblivious2678
Very happy to read this! thumbsup

Ditto!!!! thumbsup

Re: Am I still a doormat? [Re: holdingontoit] #415068
10/19/16 09:48 PM
10/19/16 09:48 PM
holdingontoit Offline OP
Global Moderator
holdingontoit  Offline OP
Global Moderator
Thanks everyone. I very much appreciate the support.

Solutions? There are none. There are decisions.
Re: Am I still a doormat? [Re: holdingontoit] #415073
10/20/16 12:09 AM
10/20/16 12:09 AM
T
TC_Manhattan Offline
TC_Manhattan  Offline
T
Originally Posted By: holdingontoit
On a more purely uplifting note, Mrs. H had a lung scan that showed no new nodules and no growth of the nodules she had last time. So it looks like the cancer did not spread to her lungs. And they said you can see a clear line where the radiation affected her tissue, so it apparently "worked" to blast the most rapidly dividing cells in her armpit. Good news.

Great news!

Is this her 1st anniversary since diagnosis? That is a huge milestone.

The timing of her cruise may just be a perfect reward to mark it.

Go, Hold!! clapping

Re: Am I still a doormat? [Re: TC_Manhattan] #415094
10/20/16 05:37 AM
10/20/16 05:37 AM
B
Blair Offline
Blair  Offline
B
Really grand news, Hold!

Re: Am I still a doormat? [Re: Blair] #415096
10/20/16 12:34 PM
10/20/16 12:34 PM
NewEveryDay Offline
Advocate
NewEveryDay  Offline
Advocate
Quote:
As I said before, I am not worried about her wanting someone else. I am worried about her newly divorced friend wanting some male attention and Mrs. Hold being too nice to be a wet blanket toward the person who is paying for her cruise. And as we all know, once you involve alcohol and being alone with a man, it ceases to be solely a question of the woman's autonomy.

Has she recently gone out with a group of female friends and gotten drunk and silly? Yes. But with a group. Less chance of being pulled away from a group. Here it is just Mrs. Hold and the divorcee. If the divorcee decides to take a man back to her cabin, now Mrs. Hold is alone and drunk on a cruise ship. At that point, it is not her I distrust.

This statement is depressing as heck. One of Mrs. H's life missions has been providing rape survivor post-crisis care, so unless she is an alcoholic I wouldn't see her indulging to the point that someone could take advantage of her. Maybe there is something I'm missing, but I would think that would be the opposite of attractive to her.

And I didn't go on girl trips when I was married, but if I did, if my then-H gave me a speech like you did, suggesting that I would drink to excess because I am comfortable giving away my decision-making, knowing my story, I would be deeply upset and offended. To be honest, it's very hard personally to read what you said and tamp down the lump in my chest at what you're implying. I get that my response is about me, not about you, but we're friends so I thought I'd share.

Did I share with you my cruise story? When B and I were married, I always wanted to go on a cruise, had a coworker who got all the rest of the coworkers deep discounts, and had wonderful experiences. But B said we couldn't afford it. The summer after our divorce went through, he booked a $1200 trip for him and the kids on the Oasis of the Seas. Not discounted. So clearly "we" had the money all along. And then asked me if I wanted to go. I talked to you all here, and decided yes I'm there! But he didn't add me. So I called Royal Caribbean, said I was Mrs. B, would you please add me to the reservation, and they did, for $149. He was mad at that moment, but we all had an amazing time and on the trip he was happy I was there.

I've taken a cruise every year since, and it has been by far the least expensive way to travel. On Carnival, now that you have no kids and can travel any time of the year, you two can book an 11 day cruise from NYC to the Eastern Caribbean for $949 a person. So the question is, is it that you two cannot afford to travel, or do you enjoy saying no to that more?

Edited to add: That is awesome to hear about the lung scan!

Last edited by NewEveryDay; 10/20/16 12:43 PM. Reason: added more

"I have everything I need." and "I am exactly where I am supposed to be." ~Louise Hays
Re: Am I still a doormat? [Re: NewEveryDay] #415101
10/20/16 01:59 PM
10/20/16 01:59 PM
holdingontoit Offline OP
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
NED: Thanks for sharing your concerns. So many threads to pull apart.

Just last weekend Mrs. H went away with friends from college. All age 50+. One got so drunk that when they got her in a cab to back to the hotel she threw up. I don't think Mrs. H got THAT drunk but she did mention having several shots. She is not a large woman (thanks to WW and her willpower) so it doesn't take much to get her quite tipsy. I am not worried about her getting so drunk that she isn't sufficiently conscious to say "no". I am worried about her getting sufficiently drunk that accepting an offer from a guy to walk her back to her cabin "just to make sure she doesn't get lost" sounds gallant rather than predatory.

I am also worried about the peer pressure from her newly divorced friend. They have been friends since before we met, we attended her wedding to her ex and she attended our wedding, so I know of her, but I do not know her well since we never lived close to each other. I have no idea if she, newly divorced empty-nester and thousands of miles from home, is going to want to sip tea and discuss celebrity gossip or hit the bars and pick up men to prove she "still has it". If she wants to "have a little fun", Mrs. H may feel obliged (remember, her friend paid for the cruise) to go along and sit with her, dance with her, etc. After all these years reading marriage forums, can you tell me I have zero reason to be concerned that such an environment might lead to Mrs. H doing something she didn't walk into the room intending to do?

As for travel, over the past few years we have gone on trips with our kids to several countries and continents. We were going on a tropical vacation with them this winter but are scared of Zika so now we are going to California instead. We visit our kids (both of whom attend college 1000 miles away from us) several times a year. So we have a large travel budget. But if she had her way and we were rich, she would go away to another continent every month.

But I do not want to hide or pretend. I could take her along on more work trips than I do. I am not pushing to make it happen as much as I would if I was happier in our marriage. And yes, I do get a thrill from saying "no" to her. I wish I didn't. But I do. After decades of hearing "no" from her, sometimes I get more of a thrill from saying "no" than I would from doing what she asked to do. So I say "no". Because I can. Funny how I have developed a taste for poison.

We do have financial constraints. Literally tens of thousands of dollars of credit card debt that we roll over every month and have for over a decade. I could very reasonably have said "no" to the cruise on financial grounds (round trip air ticket to get to and from ports was not cheap, shore excursion and alcohol purchases will be on me, and a month without working means she will need extra cash from me when she gets home). But I didn't. Which is why I asked the initial question on this thread.

Re: Am I still a doormat? [Re: holdingontoit] #415117
10/20/16 06:02 PM
10/20/16 06:02 PM
The Dark Side of the Moon
AntigoneRisen Offline
Board of Directors
AntigoneRisen  Offline
Board of Directors
The Dark Side of the Moon
Awesome news!

Critical Thinking: The Other National Deficit

"That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens
Re: Am I still a doormat? [Re: AntigoneRisen] #415174
10/21/16 07:45 PM
10/21/16 07:45 PM
SFB Offline
SFB  Offline
Hold:

I am very happy to hear the news of your W's recent exam. That is always good news.

SFB

Finding an ethical way to deal with pain, fear, disappointment etc..is part of the experience of becoming a stronger person...one who is driven by compassion instead of compulsion...ie I have a legitimate reason to be stressed out right now...however, my response to it will determine how others percieve me, and myself. (quoting Star*Fish)
Re: Am I still a doormat? [Re: SFB] #415243
10/24/16 01:15 PM
10/24/16 01:15 PM
holdingontoit Offline OP
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Over the weekend we attended a family event. Mrs. Hold's aunt and uncle were there. Afterward, the aunt texted Mrs. H to compliment me on being a great husband. So while I do drink poison and sometimes say "no" from spite, I do tend to treat Mrs. H well most of the time. On the outside at least. I always thought I would have been an excellent actor if I had chosen that as a career. I guess I was correct.

Re: Am I still a doormat? [Re: holdingontoit] #415274
10/24/16 08:08 PM
10/24/16 08:08 PM
T
TC_Manhattan Offline
TC_Manhattan  Offline
T
Hold, you are a hoot.

You remind me so of Silas in The DaVinci Code. eek

There's some mileage you gain out of self-flagellation..

Just revel in the compliment, and your accomplishments.

You are way better than that for which you give yourself credit. razz

Re: Am I still a doormat? [Re: TC_Manhattan] #415295
10/25/16 01:16 PM
10/25/16 01:16 PM
holdingontoit Offline OP
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
TC: I don't know about that.

Mrs. H mooned me today. It is nice to see her feeling comfortable in her own skin and comfortable enough with me. Back in the bad old days she was always covered neck to ankles and wrists and there was no playfulness. Lately she smiles more when she is with me. I am happy for her.

I wish I could be happy for me. But that is not allowed.

Re: Am I still a doormat? [Re: holdingontoit] #415305
10/25/16 02:52 PM
10/25/16 02:52 PM
S
SmilingWife Offline
Global Moderator
SmilingWife  Offline
Global Moderator
S
Hmm.....mooning you is definitely progress!

Lol

Re: Am I still a doormat? [Re: holdingontoit] #415306
10/25/16 02:54 PM
10/25/16 02:54 PM
T
TC_Manhattan Offline
TC_Manhattan  Offline
T

Perhaps some day you may choose to rewrite the plot.. read

Re: Am I still a doormat? [Re: holdingontoit] #415317
10/25/16 07:48 PM
10/25/16 07:48 PM
HI
O
Orchid2 Offline
Ambassador
Orchid2  Offline
Ambassador
O
HI

In time, be patient. The sun still shines in your neighborhood, right? At least smile, it makes people wonder what you are up to. smile

Re: Am I still a doormat? [Re: Orchid2] #415320
10/25/16 08:03 PM
10/25/16 08:03 PM
midwest
Miranda Offline
Global Moderator
Miranda  Offline
Global Moderator
midwest
I have trouble with this too, Hold.

But I actually laughed a little bit this weekend. So it CAN happen. Even for "people like us." Once in a while.

I don't think I'll be making a habit of it or anything. But you never know....

When we open to this moment and don't judge it or try to change it, even when we're suffering and wish it were otherwise, we tap into the spaciousness of mind that allows us to move forward skillfully, with discernment and joy. -- Sharon Salzberg
Re: Am I still a doormat? [Re: Miranda] #415323
10/25/16 09:05 PM
10/25/16 09:05 PM
holdingontoit Offline OP
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
I am blessed at my age to still have my parents. I will be seeing them later this week. That is wonderful.

I get hugs from Mrs. H far more often than in the past. I don't enjoy them as much as I used to, but that is on me. I am foolish, but not too stupid to realize this is an improvement and something to be cherished. I dreamed of it for many many years. Stupid to spurn it now that it has arrived.

My kids text me every day. Not always good news, but isn't it wonderful that they turn to me and Mrs. H when they are unhappy?

I spread some grass seed on my lawn where the weeds are taking over and some of the seeds sprouted! Fresh new green shoots of grass! I love the look and the smell. The cycle of life goes on.

Much to be thankful for.

Re: Am I still a doormat? [Re: holdingontoit] #415324
10/25/16 09:19 PM
10/25/16 09:19 PM
midwest
Miranda Offline
Global Moderator
Miranda  Offline
Global Moderator
midwest
I'm lousy at the "gratitude" thing. counting blessings, etc, I've always been bad at it.

I try, I really do. But it's just not a gift I have. I come up with things like "my husband isn't dead" :\

If I work super hard at it I can think of the boys, and stuff like that. But there isn't a lot there. I know I have a lot to be grateful for. I know I do. I'm just bad at what my therapist calls "gratitude practice." He says I shouldn't worry about it too much though, because I really live a very positive life, in spite of it. He marvels at that a bit. He attributes it to my really strong resilience. So I'm supposed to just "try" to exercise gratitude, as I can. Because I might get better with practice, and to not beat myself up if I'm not good at it, because it's okay not to be good at everything. smile

I'm grateful for the knowledge that it's okay to be sub par at some stuff. Giving it a solid effort is good too.

Re: Am I still a doormat? [Re: Miranda] #415331
10/25/16 11:33 PM
10/25/16 11:33 PM
holdingontoit Offline OP
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Originally Posted By: Miranda
I'm grateful for the knowledge that it's okay to be sub par at some stuff. Giving it a solid effort is good too.

Love that concept. Stop beating myself up for not being good at being grateful.

Re: Am I still a doormat? [Re: holdingontoit] #415358
10/26/16 01:20 PM
10/26/16 01:20 PM
Not quite here
Squeaky Tree Offline
Squeaky Tree  Offline
Not quite here
Great news and I don't think you are a doormat and I think you handled it thoughtfully. What if she does and she does tell you though?

Married 22years (this year) ~13y since dday(?)
DD17 DS14
Which way do you like yourself? ~ Stosny
Re: Am I still a doormat? [Re: Squeaky Tree] #415363
10/26/16 02:17 PM
10/26/16 02:17 PM
holdingontoit Offline OP
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
ST: Thanks. Don't worry, she won't. She is at her core a good hearted person. She knows it will hurt me. She knows I won't leave over it. And she knows that living with me with both of us knowing would be torture for her.

I am not relying on her willpower. I am relying on her self-interest.

Like TC said, I play this chess game many moves out.

No, you are not. [Re: holdingontoit] #415509
10/31/16 02:32 PM
10/31/16 02:32 PM
SFB Offline
SFB  Offline
Hold:

One day at a time, my friend.

One day at a time.

SFB

Finding an ethical way to deal with pain, fear, disappointment etc..is part of the experience of becoming a stronger person...one who is driven by compassion instead of compulsion...ie I have a legitimate reason to be stressed out right now...however, my response to it will determine how others percieve me, and myself. (quoting Star*Fish)
Re: No, you are not. [Re: SFB] #415525
10/31/16 08:43 PM
10/31/16 08:43 PM
holdingontoit Offline OP
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
SFB: Every day we discuss her plans for the trip. What they are doing. What they are packing. Hard to avoid references to the trip.

Each time she reassures me that she wishes I could accompany her, and that she will not be doing anything with other men. I tell her I know she won't. Because she loves me. And because men are yucky. And because I won't leave her over it, and the guilt would eat away at her. Which would force her to divorce me to free herself. At which point the kids would find out. Causing our daughter to disown her.

Sometimes I give her the condensed version: "every time you look at another man, think of how you will feel when you have to tell the kids that you are leaving me because you cheated and you can't stand the guilt."

I know, it would earn me more Love Bank points if I said "I know you would never cheat because you love me and you care about my feelings and you would never hurt me that much." Sorry, but I don't think I could say that with a straight face.

Page 2 of 45 1 2 3 4 44 45

Moderated by  Chrysalis, Fiddler, Miranda 

Newest Members
Love_Smacked, starfire, JoyfulMimi, bruers, shattered72
2048 Registered Users
Latest Topics(Posts)
Woman urges NC lawmakers to end child marriage: For her it was a ‘life sentence’1
63 Marriage Facts1
COVID-19 and the Increased Likelihood of Affairs3
Updates Divorce Stats4
no more rainbow members?9
BR - The Art of War - Sun Tzu5
Questions & Answers About Marriage---responses from 7-10 year old kids4
seeing new members on mobile version5
Return of the Goddess31
Chrisner - the war of the waywards3
Community Information
2048Members
1Penalty Box