Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 3 guests, and 38 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
 Trending Topics(Posts)
1.How to deconstruct a marriage.0
2.I am Sick, I am Sad, and I am needing some support.0
3.SIHW is back and Dealing with issues....0
4.looking for some support0
5.Social Networking Sites and Infidelity0
6.Signs of Infidelity0
7.The Difference Between Cheating and Infidelity?0
8.Not really sure how to survive0
9.The Five Big Lies That Keep You From Changing0
10.Pregnant and getting put out of the house by my husband0
*By replies in last 2 weeks.
In The Media(Posts)
Woman urges NC lawmakers to end child marriage: For her it was a ‘life sentence’3
COVID-19 and the Increased Likelihood of Affairs3
Does anyone remember this story?3
Validation to find-win-win slutions2
Things men want3
These Are The Signs You're Dating A Narcissist3
Girlfriend's 'controlling' list of 22 rules for boyfriend goes viral: 'She sounds crazy'9
What Divorced Men Wish They Had Done Differently In Their Marriages7
Alienation of Affection / Criminal Conversation9
Would you pay your ex a 'break-up fee'? - BBC3
more >>
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
call to action to churches: Stop enabling abuse! #420896
03/30/17 12:57 AM
03/30/17 12:57 AM
Utah
Kayla Offline OP
Kayla  Offline OP
Utah
Even though this article focuses on men abusing their wives, I would say that this message also needs to be pointed toward abusive wives as well.

http://foreverymom.com/marriage/enough-enough-church-stop-enabling-abusive-men-gary-thomas/

Consider that we don't have to live with the consequences of our advice in your life. Act according to what you can live with!
Re: call to action to churches: Stop enabling abuse! [Re: Kayla] #421043
04/03/17 08:00 PM
04/03/17 08:00 PM
The Dark Side of the Moon
AntigoneRisen Offline
Board of Directors
AntigoneRisen  Offline
Board of Directors
I'd add child abuse to that.

Critical Thinking: The Other National Deficit

"That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens
Re: call to action to churches: Stop enabling abuse! [Re: Kayla] #421049
04/03/17 09:51 PM
04/03/17 09:51 PM
S
SmilingWife Offline
Global Moderator
SmilingWife  Offline
Global Moderator
S
Originally Posted By: Kayla
Even though this article focuses on men abusing their wives, I would say that this message also needs to be pointed toward abusive wives as well.

http://foreverymom.com/marriage/enough-enough-church-stop-enabling-abusive-men-gary-thomas/

I wonder how much of this belief--that because God hates a divorce you have to put up with whatever kind of abuse your mate dishes out--I wonder how much comes from the actual Church and how much is the abusive mate making the abused mate belief that.

I am part of a conservative religion. Remarriage is only allowed when adultery is committed. But no one is encouraged to stay in an abusive marriage and no one gets to say how much you have to take.

Re: call to action to churches: Stop enabling abuse! [Re: SmilingWife] #421576
04/14/17 07:49 PM
04/14/17 07:49 PM
AntigoneRisen Offline
Board of Directors
AntigoneRisen  Offline
Board of Directors
A lot of it comes from the church, actually. I can't count the number of people I know who went to their clergy and were told to pray, that the husband was the head of the wife, to change their own behavior, etc.

It's a prominent theme in their media, as well.

This is from the fanatical Focus on the Family, and you will note that there's not one mention of abuse. It is not listed under the 'biblically permissible" reasons to divorce.

How Should a Christian View Marriage and Divorce?

I also have no idea why you would have to choose to 'live in sin' under the beliefs of a church or be alone for the rest of your life. Odd stuff.

"That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens
Re: call to action to churches: Stop enabling abuse! [Re: AntigoneRisen] #421579
04/14/17 08:29 PM
04/14/17 08:29 PM
L
LivingWell Offline
LivingWell  Offline
L
I have never been involved with a church that condoned abuse but like in the general population there were abusive people/parents as well as alcoholics, anorexics, mental illness, sexual predators and other things that are found in the general population. And like within the general population, it remained hidden until it couldn't be hidden any more. The people suffering could accept help and support from the church if they wanted to change. Many did not.

The ones that were the worst to me were the plain old controllers who (mis)used things in religion in order gain and maintain control at the expense of the well being of others, a lot of them children.

People find all sorts of justifications for what they do. Not all churches require or condone abuse although many people lump them all together. I do believe that people will find and stay with what suits them best. Consider the change in membership after a certain message board went through drastic changes regarding its "message". Like message boards, not all churches spread their messages in the same ways. To each their own.

Re: call to action to churches: Stop enabling abuse! [Re: AntigoneRisen] #421580
04/15/17 02:17 AM
04/15/17 02:17 AM
S
SmilingWife Offline
Global Moderator
SmilingWife  Offline
Global Moderator
S
Originally Posted By: AntigoneRisen
A lot of it comes from the church, actually. I can't count the number of people I know who went to their clergy and were told to pray, that the husband was the head of the wife, to change their own behavior, etc.

It's a prominent theme in their media, as well.

This is from the fanatical Focus on the Family, and you will note that there's not one mention of abuse. It is not listed under the 'biblically permissible" reasons to divorce.

How Should a Christian View Marriage and Divorce?

I also have no idea why you would have to choose to 'live in sin' under the beliefs of a church or be alone for the rest of your life. Odd stuff.

For me I would choose to not remarry if I didn't have scriptural grounds because I believe marriage is a serious vow broken only by adultery or death. Living in harmony with your beliefs is not a hardship.

Re: call to action to churches: Stop enabling abuse! [Re: AntigoneRisen] #421596
04/19/17 02:58 PM
04/19/17 02:58 PM
SW Chicago 'burbs
Mark1952 Offline
Board of Directors
Mark1952  Offline
Board of Directors
SW Chicago 'burbs

Last edited by Mark1952; 04/19/17 03:00 PM.

mark1952.ma@gmail.com

I Was Thinking...

The secret to having a good marriage is to understand that marriage must be total, it must be permanent, and it must be equal.-- Frank Pittman
Re: call to action to churches: Stop enabling abuse! [Re: Mark1952] #421598
04/19/17 03:02 PM
04/19/17 03:02 PM
SW Chicago 'burbs
Mark1952 Offline
Board of Directors
Mark1952  Offline
Board of Directors
SW Chicago 'burbs
OK, so I must have one of those nonstandard characters in there somewhere. Hopefully I'll figure it out and get the post to appear, but I'm not going beat my head against the wall all afternoon.

mark1952.ma@gmail.com

I Was Thinking...

The secret to having a good marriage is to understand that marriage must be total, it must be permanent, and it must be equal.-- Frank Pittman
Re: call to action to churches: Stop enabling abuse! [Re: SmilingWife] #421599
04/19/17 03:04 PM
04/19/17 03:04 PM
holdingontoit Offline
Global Moderator
holdingontoit  Offline
Global Moderator
To me, this is similar to the reason why so many middle school gym teachers are bullies. Because if you want to be a bully as an adult, you have to choose jobs carefully. You can't bully the elementary school kids because the Moms will eat you alive and you'll get arrested. You can't bully the high school kids because some of the boys are full grown and will clean your clock. So middle school is "just right" if you get your jollies bossing people around with little risk of response.

If you want to abuse people, hierarchical religions provide a good mechanism for poking your nose in other people's business and not getting called on it. You have an excuse - you are helping them follow God's will. And people who join hierarchical religions and who do not seek higher office tend to feel comfortable being submissive and probably won't report initial attempts at control. Plus they tend to be willing to open themselves up to those in authority. So the flock is easy pickings for abusers. Self-selects for both sides of the dynamic.

Solutions? There are none. There are decisions.
Re: call to action to churches: Stop enabling abuse! [Re: holdingontoit] #421605
04/19/17 03:55 PM
04/19/17 03:55 PM
AntigoneRisen Offline
Board of Directors
AntigoneRisen  Offline
Board of Directors
Agreed. Not all congregations have the problem, but the problem exists. While it isn't the norm, isn't rare, either.

Re: call to action to churches: Stop enabling abuse! [Re: AntigoneRisen] #421766
04/22/17 09:43 AM
04/22/17 09:43 AM
Steadfast & Committed Offline
Man of few words
Steadfast & Committed  Offline
Man of few words

Saving marriages, fighting infidelity, preventing divorce; that's what we do here!

Moderated by  Fiddler 

Newest Members
Love_Smacked, starfire, JoyfulMimi, bruers, shattered72
2048 Registered Users
Latest Topics(Posts)
Hearts Blessing4
Woman urges NC lawmakers to end child marriage: For her it was a ‘life sentence’3
63 Marriage Facts1
COVID-19 and the Increased Likelihood of Affairs3
Updates Divorce Stats4
no more rainbow members?9
BR - The Art of War - Sun Tzu5
Questions & Answers About Marriage---responses from 7-10 year old kids4
seeing new members on mobile version5
Return of the Goddess31
Community Information
2048Members
1Penalty Box
6Suspended