Marriage Advocates

It's all about perspective - good essay about a forever marriage

Posted By: Kayla

It's all about perspective - good essay about a forever marriage - 01/09/16 04:25 PM

http://www.tickld.com/x/ffy/woman-gives-best-reason-ever-why-cheating-is-bad
Posted By: Miranda

Re: It's all about perspective - good essay about a forever marriage - 01/09/16 07:41 PM

This is out-freakin-standing!! Epic.
Posted By: right here waiting

Re: It's all about perspective - good essay about a forever marriage - 01/10/16 03:22 AM

thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup
Posted By: SmilingWife

Re: It's all about perspective - good essay about a forever marriage - 01/10/16 04:26 AM

I like it
Posted By: Oblivious2678

Re: It's all about perspective - good essay about a forever marriage - 01/11/16 02:43 PM

This is great.
Posted By: holdingontoit

Re: It's all about perspective - good essay about a forever marriage - 01/11/16 08:48 PM

Funny, I don't like that at all. I read her argument to be "I won't cheat because my relationship with my husband is so much better than any relationship I could have with anyone else - if not in the moment than over the long run." She keeps saying she won't cheat because her husband is her best friend. But what if your spouse is not your best friend? What if they are selfish and treat you poorly? Does that mean you should cheat? Where is the part of her explanation that insists you should divorce rather than cheat if your spouse is behaving poorly?

For me, the reasons not to cheat are (1) because my personal sense of morality requires that I not cheat and (2) because cheating carries the risk of some incredibly poor outcomes. Those reasons do not depend on how my spouse treats me or whether I intend to remain married to them. Those reasons are about ME. In my view if you make the reason for not cheating depend on your spouse then you are opening the door to justify cheating.
Posted By: Rich57

Re: It's all about perspective - good essay about a forever marriage - 01/12/16 12:33 PM

Originally Posted By: holdingontoit
if you make the reason for not cheating depend on your spouse then you are opening the door to justify cheating.

AGREE!

I think to add in why does someone cheat?
They are trying to fill some unfulfilled need.
At some point in time these will occur in the natural
ebbs and flows of life.
Does that then justify cheating - I think not!
Posted By: Miranda

Re: It's all about perspective - good essay about a forever marriage - 01/12/16 01:42 PM

Guys,

That's not what HER story was about. This was just a first person accounting of one woman's experience with HER forever marriage. NOT an exhaustive and comprehensive study of ALL the reasons why people stay faithful.
Posted By: AntigoneRisen

Re: It's all about perspective - good essay about a forever marriage - 01/12/16 07:56 PM

I can see how this would be very convincing for a person who had that type of marriage - where your spouse is your best friend.

For those engaged in a power struggle that feels like a death match or are very neglected - living almost entirely separate lives - this would sound more like a Hollywood fairyland than anything relatable to their life.

I can think of times in my life where the idea of any of that in my marriage was nothing short of laughable.
© 2021 Marriage Advocates